17's to 16's or not

WEST014

Currently driving MK1 VRS with 17' alloys  Autec Germany, 225/45/17 is tyres dimensions. Since my previous vrs was 16' I got used to that comfort. With 17's steering is too heavy, the car is sluggish, and I think that consumes a lot more fuel. I'm talking about the difference in driving between 16 and 17 in the same car.

I have an offer to change my wheels for some OEM Skoda 16.  At my car is new Kumho tires Ecta model, on these 16'  that would have changed new Michelin tires also 205/55/16... 

In Serbia the roads are terrible, i dont wanna buy new tyres and parts every 1000 miles.. :D

I'd like to find vrs wheels 16 but they are in Serbia almost impossible to find...

The question is more comfortable ride on account of the appearance, or maintaining the status quo?

Current on my Skoda

DSCF2074.jpg

DSCF2078.jpg

DSCF2086.jpg

DSCF2084.jpg

Wheels that i get in exchange...16's. Currently on this Golf.

10559917_1482767945301409_67311997140943

10842032_1557400837838119_76347166020881

Imho i would pick standard 17" spiders over those two sets. Look far better than both. Just my opinion though.

Agreed, the spiders are great standard rims. I'll be keeping them and colour changing, I find the size ideal, I live in Wales and some of these roads are of questionable quality and downright mucky.

Agreed, the spiders are great standard rims. I'll be keeping them and colour changing, I find the size ideal, I live in Wales and some of these roads are of questionable quality and downright mucky.

To be fare I've been to Serbia and the roads are shockingly bad, i had 16's on the Yeti and went to 17's and noticed a slight difference in loss of ride comfort. If i was driving in Serbia, especially winter with those hidden potholes (some are more like caves!!) id seriously consider swopping to 16's. 

To be fare I've been to Serbia and the roads are shockingly bad, i had 16's on the Yeti and went to 17's and noticed a slight difference in loss of ride comfort. If i was driving in Serbia, especially winter with those hidden potholes (some are more like caves!!) id seriously consider swopping to 16's.

Fair do's, I'll consider myself lucky with Welsh lanes!

It's nice to look at pictures with big wheels, but to drive such a car is a totally different experience. I agree with the owner of that 16' wheels to try it a couple of days so if we correspond to take, if not to return them.. 

why buy a Vrs and moan about fuel????

The OP said that he feels that 17s cause the car to use more fuel than his previous vRS which had 16s

Those 16s on the Golf look look like Elegance spec alloys to me, which is what I use over the the winter.  I have some L&Ks for the summer, but they are significantly heavier :-(

Edited by mbames

Does anyone know if there is a difference between 205/50/17 and 225/45/17 in driving, consumption and other...

In Serbia, almost all drivers care about fuel prices, because the life standard is realy bad.In Serbia, all they care about fuel prices, because the standard is bad.

I am one of those who preffers to drive 500 miles  per month with VRS rather than 5000 with some 1.1 liter corncrake...

There can be a world of difference in handling and comfort just going from one tyre manufacturer to another (same size wheel).  From experience with a Mondeo ST when I bought it (18" alloys) the handling wasn't very good and I put it down to the age of the car until I needed new tyres and found that I had cheapo budget tyres on.  I went for a set of Goodyear F1's and what a transformation,  it lived up to its excellent handling reviews.  Even the comfort was improved and the 'old' tyres had the correct air pressure in them.

Going from 17 to 16 will make a difference - worse for handling, better for comfort BUT the tyres are more important than the alloy size.

The Kumho Ecsta you have on at the moment are a mid range tyre - ok at most things.  Tyrereviews rate them at a 77% overall.  Simply changing them for a premium brand could solve all your issues.

Also, based on where you are, are you on winter tyres at the moment?  If so they have completely different handling and comfort characteristics to all weather/summer ones.

Edited by Sheldon.Cooper