Reading oil levels - Octavia petrol VRS

Hi,

probably a silly question but checking the oil levels in my VRS is driving me nuts.

It seems to go through periods of burning oil for no apparent reason and then doesn't use any at all so I'm keeping an eye on the levels but I'm having trouble reading and believing the dipstick.

Last week the low oil alert came on (surprised as was fine a month or so ago, but it was a very cold morning and random oil usage seems to be a "feature") so I topped up to about mid range on the dipstick. So far, so good and the reading appeared to be reliable as I put oil in and took the reading.

This morning (car cold, not used) I checking the levels and one side of the dipstick is oily from about half way down the stick and further down the oil level was above the max mark although it wasn't solid, so I wasn't really sure what conclusion to draw. I drained a bit out to bring the level down but still couldn't seem to get a reilable reading so took the car for a 5 minute drive wondering if that would suck some of the oil down the dipstick tube and make it easier to get a sump reading.

It kind of worked and the reading looks about right, but the dipstick is dirty and I'm still not convinced and am paranoid about too much or too little oil. With the Christmas driving visiting people imminent I'm a bit concerned.

I never had this grief with my old Golf, so am wondering what best practice is for taking a reading (car totally cold, or cooled down after a run), and whether there are any tips for reading the dipstick reliably.

Searching the forum it looks like this has come up before but I'm still not clear what I'm doing wrong. And I don't understand how last week the level looked fine, but today it has gone up (!) with the engine cold.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Don't know if you have a diesel or a petrol. My diesel is tricky to check and probably ended up overfilled in most cases due to the inconsistencies you mention. The  BMW bike forum has regular threads on this topic. So not just Skodas.

I think the main thing is to be consistant in how you go about checking the oil.

A flat surface is a must as a slope appears to make the level change like the tides.

I usually check mine when cold in the morning before I leave for work.  The oil has drained down overnight & the garage floor is slightly sloping but the slope doesn't change from month to month so it's consistant.  As long at it's somewhere on the cross hatched part (the 2 mid-marks) of the dipstick I'm happy.

Skoda / VW says you should check the oil level with the engine hot (normal operating temperature) but after it's been given a few minutes to settle so I guess they mean the service station forecourt after you've refueled & paid for the fuel. (I assume Skoda don't care about the queue of cars behind you).

Oil expands with heat so if you've taken it to the top mark when cold (as they would do at the workshop) then it will be a few mm over the mark when hot.

Personally, if it's 1/2/3 mm high when hot I just live with it but I can understaand that others wouldn't be able to sleep at night if it was above the top marker.

We'll with my TFSI I always read it with the engine cold and level in the garage.

Mine would also sip oil for 6 months then gulp a litre in a week. It did it from new till the day I sold it. I never figured out why.

However the engine never missed a beat or failed an MOT, in fact MOT emissions were going down not up over the years.

So I would suggest you check it regularly, every 500mi or so, top up as needed and not really worry about it too much.

If you're seeing the oil light then you're not checking often enough.

An yes the dipstick is a pita to read.

I'm sure my owners manual says check while engine is cold.

That's how most of us would do it.

It says:

-Park vehicle on horizontal service

-Switch the engine off

-Open bonnet

-Wait a few minutes and pull out dipstick

-Wipe dipstick & re-insert

-withdraw & read level

Later it says "check oil at every fuel fill or after a long trip"

So the implication is on a hot engine.  Others more anal than me have made further enquiries & swear this is the case.

Personally, I'm happy if it's somewhere in between the top of the "a" zone & the bottom of the "b" zone whether it be hot or cold.

That's how most of us would do it.

It says:

-Park vehicle on horizontal service

-Switch the engine off

-Open bonnet

-Wait a few minutes and pull out dipstick

-Wipe dipstick & re-insert

-withdraw & read level

Later it says "check oil at every fuel fill or after a long trip"

So the implication is on a hot engine.  Others more anal than me have made further enquiries & swear this is the case.

Personally, I'm happy if it's somewhere in between the top of the "a" zone & the bottom of the "b" zone whether it be hot or cold.

Just had a proper look at the owners manual, I stand corrected !

It's much easier to check before a big trip while it's nice and level in garage though.

Reading the dipstick , hot or cold, is still a PITA !

Edited by SkodaKitteh

Just had a proper look at the owners manual, I stand corrected !

It's much easier to check before a big trip while it's nice and level in garage though.

Reading the dipstick , hot or cold, is still a PITA !

Mate, I agree with you. 

There are some who feel that puppies die if it isn't done precisely as per the book.

I think the main take-away is that if Skoda/VW really do intend that the oil level is checked at NOT then those of us that check it cold probably need to aim for the top of the cross-hatched area rather than the most upper mark as oil expands when hot.

So I've just come back from a little run and checked the level. Dipstick was dirty when I first took it out. Cleaned it and put it back in and it then it came out clean and showing a good unambiguous reading. I'm a happy bunny in time for xmas. And more importantly, no puppies have died this week ;-)