Clutch Pedal was stuck now no pressure

Leifmjcb

Hi Guys, last night my clutch pedal kept sticking to the floor and I would have to release it by hand, not much further down the road i lost it completley. There is no pressure at all, it's either in or out because of the spring. Now I know there have been a few posts about this but most cases seem to be the pedal breaking but my pedal all seems intact. and the hydraulics in the pedal seem to be working. I had a look to see if there was any brake fluid and i think I saw a bit. Hard to tell with it being quite wet. It's a 1.9TDI mk1. Need an urgent fix as need to drive to the otherside of the country tomorrow for christmas. All garages are closed. Think it might be a cylinder?

Thanks in advance.

-Leif

Had a similar thing happen on a VW Beetle last month and I thought it was the master cylinder failing but it turned out it was some metal part breaking near the clutch pedal which was as simple and cheap fix but unusual thing to fail.

I can't be more specific than that i'm afraid as the garage fixed it.

Had a similar thing happen on a VW Beetle last month and I thought it was the master cylinder failing but it turned out it was some metal part breaking near the clutch pedal which was as simple and cheap fix but unusual thing to fail.

I can't be more specific than that i'm afraid as the garage fixed it.

yeah I've heard that's a very common problem on vags of that age but i've inspected the pedal and it doesn't seem to be too bad, i'm not sure i need to have good look in daylight but I'm working!! :wall: :wall: :wall:

For me this is a clear failure of a master cilinder failure,is on the clutch pedal.

You're positive? I'm thinking that too but I dont want to go ahead and buy one if it turns out not to be the master cylinder. I don't have time to look at it and buy the part :/ might just go get a new one. Thanks mate :)

This is not necessarily either a master cylinder or a slave cylinder failure, there is another possibility and one which I have just experienced and thankfully sorted.

My problem was on a 130 hp ASZ engine where the slave cylinder is internal, The standard 110hp models have an external slave cylinder but both have a similar 'connection' from the master cylinder pipe and it is here where the problem might lie.

In essence, the bleed nipple for the clutch hydraulics is situated outside the gearbox in what is called a 'breather assembly'. This is the item which is fed from a pipe from the master cylinder.  This is made of plastic and the pipe from the hydraulic master cylinder enters this. The 'breather assembly' is then, in turn, connected to the slave cylinder.  This assembly is easily seen on top of the gearbox immediately forward of the gearbox operating assembly. The hydraulic pipe from the master cylinder comes from under the battery tray into it.

The connections from the hydraulic pipe are push-in with a wire clip to hold them. Within each connector is either an 'o-ring' or a 'sealing washer' (depending upon model).  These can fail and leak, allowing air into the system and giving the symptoms you describe.

You should see a drip of oil from the lower point of the gearbox and a corresponding dribble down the side of the gearbox from the leaking connection (if this is the case).  Luckily, this item is easy to get at and its also easy to bleed it, (I continuously bled it for a few months, maybe every week or so as well as topping up the fluid, before I finally fixed it, so you can actually live with it if you keep on top of it, at least for a while.

You can easily bleed the clutch from looking down into the engine compartment. If you want to have a good look for leaks around the gearbox, then you will have to remove the lower engine cover.

It may be the master or slave cylinder, but before buying components, try and eliminate this breather assembly as the culprit, because its only a tenner to fix.

If it proves to be it, then let me know and I can give you the part number for the 'o-ring/washer kit.'. I had to do a fair bit of research to identify it, Skoda parts departments didn't have a clue.

Cheers,  Terry

Edited by scotsgent
  • Like 1

This is not necessarily either a master cylinder or a slave cylinder failure, there is another possibility and one which I have just experienced and thankfully sorted.

My problem was on a 130 hp ASZ engine where the slave cylinder is internal, The standard 110hp models have an external slave cylinder but both have a similar 'connection' from the master cylinder pipe and it is here where the problem might lie.

In essence, the bleed nipple for the clutch hydraulics is situated outside the gearbox in what is called a 'breather assembly'. This is the item which is fed from a pipe from the master cylinder.  This is made of plastic and the pipe from the hydraulic master cylinder enters this. The 'breather assembly' is then, in turn, connected to the slave cylinder.  This assembly is easily seen on top of the gearbox immediately forward of the gearbox operating assembly. The hydraulic pipe from the master cylinder comes from under the battery tray into it.

The connections from the hydraulic pipe are push-in with a wire clip to hold them. Within each connector is either an 'o-ring' or a 'sealing washer' (depending upon model).  These can fail and leak, allowing air into the system and giving the symptoms you describe.

You should see a drip of oil from the lower point of the gearbox and a corresponding dribble down the side of the gearbox from the leaking connection (if this is the case).  Luckily, this item is easy to get at and its also easy to bleed it, (I continuously bled it for a few months, maybe every week or so as well as topping up the fluid, before I finally fixed it, so you can actually live with it if you keep on top of it, at least for a while.

You can easily bleed the clutch from looking down into the engine compartment. If you want to have a good look for leaks around the gearbox, then you will have to remove the lower engine cover.

It may be the master or slave cylinder, but before buying components, try and eliminate this breather assembly as the culprit, because its only a tenner to fix.

If it proves to be it, then let me know and I can give you the part number for the 'o-ring/washer kit.'. I had to do a fair bit of research to identify it, Skoda parts departments didn't have a clue.

Cheers,  Terry

Thank you very much! very useful and I will have a look after work, i ordered the master in panic as i need it fixed but i'll check it out first and if i don't need it i can just send it back. Thanks again i'll let you know how it goes!

• 5 months later...

Hi all, I know it's a very late reply.

Was just reading through previous threads and came accross this.

Well I ordered a master but with further inspection found it to be another fault.

There's a pipe to flex crossover just before the slave that had heated up and burnt through the flexi causing a nasty leak.

Someone obviously took it out of it's retaining clip!! :wall: :wall:

Anyway just thought I'd let you know.

Thanks again.

-Leif