Options for Handling improvements

Miniracer

Hi guys

After no response from the polo forum again :/

The skoda forums have more decent people who actually want to help out

Anyway enough with the moaning it's Christmas :)

I've got a strut brace off the misses for chrimbo just wandering what other handling improvements I can make on my polo 1.9 tdi

Any advice on the following options and what other people have used before

Bushes

Lowering kits

Anything else ?

Merry Christmas to all have a gooden lads

Jason

The best ones for cost effectiveness and that you will feel the most when driving are:

-Rear anti roll bar (Whiteline or Eibach)

-Cupra console bushes for the front wishbone (or powerflex equivalent, they are more expensive though)
-Powerflex dog bone mount (reduces engine rocking/movement, makes the gear change feel a bit more solid and helps with getting the power down)

As far as springs go it depends what your goal is, for a daily some people say they can make the ride crashy and for UK roads the reduction in suspension travel too much isn't a good idea. 

A proper spring/damper kit without going too low is the best option for handling performance from what I've read. Also don't overestimate the importance of decent tyres! Really do make the world of difference. 

Everyone will have their own opinion on what tyres are best. All depends on your budget too if your replacing all four. Quick question, how come your running a 40 profile tyre? The factory size is 205/45/16. 

The top 3 for me if money was no object would be...

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s

Michelin PS3s

Continental ContiSport 2s

^ Agree with this. Ive done everything I can realistically do (this side of aero mods etc) to my Polo to improve its handling and its still pretty rubbish. 

Having run stock, springs, coilovers and finally the fixed Bilstein B12 kit -  i can say its the best of the bunch. 

Climb into a stock M sport BMW tho and it would eat it for breakfast in the corners!

You're never going to make it fantastic as the chassis isn't a good base but you can improve it. This is why I've suggested things that won't break the bank and aren't too expensive yet should give a noticeable improvement in the way the car drives and behaves.

Personally I wouldn't bother with lowering springs as your reducing the suspension travel too much and end up with a crash/bouncy ride. A proper suspension kit like the B12 listed above is better but it's whether you can justify the costs.

Do I have a super special edition then? Because my Ibiza handles I would say "good" taking into account over 70% of the weight is over the front wheels.... I think the diff helps a lot with this issue!

Not like I have blinkers on either, as I run loads of other cars (and a Fabia which isn't any where near as good in the corners!)

Do I have a super special edition then? Because my Ibiza handles I would say "good" taking into account over 70% of the weight is over the front wheels.... I think the diff helps a lot with this issue!

Not like I have blinkers on either, as I run loads of other cars (and a Fabia which isn't any where near as good in the corners!)

your Ibiza *is* special :) mine genuinely didn't inspire confidence, I felt I had to trust the tyres and diff would provide grip and traction whereas my (standard apart from some eibach springs) mk1 focus would go round a corner far faster than I would dare to :)

Ohh and the other thing to make it handle better. Be a good driver. Nice and smooth and balanced. If you know how to keep the car ballanced and weight it right through the corners and letbthe straight line speed do its work.

remeber you got a nice lump of an engine to pull you along.. it will never go like a mini. Instead of thinking about going round corners fast. Concentrate about setting up for coming quick of the corners. In the corners go in slower. Keep the car ballenced and then put your power down nice and smoothly and early as you can, letting the car run as wide put the corner as you can. Oh and dont be puttinf the powrr on too soon so you have to let off again

Everyone says it's not best handling car in the world(they are right) if you just go chucking it into corners. Adapt your driving. Use the big iron pendulum to your advantage. Ease it into the corners amd keep it all balanced. If you snap into corner ypur break traction. Once you do this you have already lost the battle as you have to slow down more to get that grip back. The smoother you are with steering.brakes and throttle. The more you can push it

I have no problem keeping up with a mk1 focus rs with plenty done too it. And thats not described as a crap handling car