Car battery brand/model in our cars..

Suprc

Test drove a TDi170 estate elegance today in Sweden. Still waiting for my own. Had to check the car battery, it has a Varta battery.

Here is some pictures, are the specs ok for its electronics? There was some problems with the battery during the winters in other threads?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

post-124202-14196900815375_thumb.jpg

Looks ok to me: Cold Cranking Amps are nice and high. Overall capacity is lower than you'd expect, but you have an AGM battery there, which is quicker to charge than a traditional 'wet' battery.

One downside to AGM batteries is that they don't generally last as long as traditional batteries, so just keep an eye out for cold starting problems.

Start-stop-technology, it was disabled on this car through maxi-dot. Read about this earlier, people don't like start-stop. But why?

Start-stop-technology, it was disabled on this car through maxi-dot. Read about this earlier, people don't like start-stop. But why?

The turbo is not going to like quick engine stop especially after a good high speed run. I have checked the turbo on my MY 2014 2.0 170 PS CR and it is the bog standard turbo that relies on oil cooling. Some makes of vehicle have water cooling for the turbo with an electric pump to help cooling down. The temperature of the turbo will cook any oil stationary in the unit, no doubt if the turbo fails Skoda will try and dispute warranty as in the owners handbook it still states to allow a short period at tick over before stopping the engine. Stop/start contradicts their instructions for stopping the engine.

My 1.8TSI has a turbo that is both oil- and watercooled, including an extra waterpump that can cool the turbo after the engine has been shut down. But I never turn it off immediately after driving on the motorway. This is because in my opinion the oil can cool the turbo better than the water can, because the oil is directly at the turbo's bearing.

If I'm getting this right - turbo gets very very hot. Has to be cooled down by oil or alternatively water. When driving long journeys on motorway and suddenly coming to a red-light the start-stop function activates and the engine turns off. The oil does therefore not go around in the system, cooling the turbo?

How does one know if the turbo is cooled with oil and/or water? MY2015.

Sent by Tapatalk

Edited by Suprc