Limp mode, turbo or little hole in pipe.

Hammett

Hi,

I've recently had a couple of times where the car has gone into limp mode whilst accelerating, generally just over 3000rpm and going up hill (110 TDI 2002). I tried a some redex and some lively driving to see if that would make a difference, seemed to, car accelerates better now. I then decided to look around the engine bay. The car had been in for a service recently and had new brake fluid, I noticed the brake fluid reservoir cap wasn't tightened properly and had been rubbing against the big pipe at the top left of the engine cover as you look at it (see attached pic and yellow arrow), sorry I'm not very familiar with what pipe it is (boost maybe?), seems to come from air intake.

Is it possible that a small hole in this pipe would cause the engine to go into limp mode? I'm hoping this and not a sticky vane issue with the turbo!

Hope you can help, car going back in to garage tomorrow for new wiper linkage but would like to see if they'll replace the pipe too.

Thanks in advance.

post-17049-0-65629500-1419848055_thumb.jpg

I sealed it temporarily with blutack, gaffer tape and string and it no longer goes into limp mode when accelerating uphill, finger crossed that, redex and a bit of heavy right foot has sorted it. Thanks.

I sealed it temporarily with blutack, gaffer tape and string and it no longer goes into limp mode when accelerating uphill, finger crossed that, redex and a bit of heavy right foot has sorted it. Thanks.

I like your style. Thats how i'd bodge it too lol

• Like 1

Can't beat a good bodge, you'd be proud of how I bodged the driver side wiper after I crossthreaded the spindle then snapped off the wiper nut. Involved tap and die and some alradite! Fortunately both bodges are now getting fixed by the garage today.

Edited by Hammett