Bridgestone Potenza S001 for vRS

Hello

Just wondering what thoughts people have or experiences with Bridgestone S001's?  The reason I ask is that I have to replace a rear tyre (puncture) and our local tyre place has these on offer.  £20-£30 less than Goodyears for example.

Paul

I have Potenzas on mine, came with them from the factory - can't say I've had any issues with them.  Also had them on my last car (BMW 120d) and they were brilliant on that too.

Thanks Wiggo, I really wanted the Eagle F1's but they don't have them and I would have to wait a few days.  As it is just the one rear corner I think i will go ahead and get the S001.

Thanks DougL, interesting read.  I think with anything its swings and roundabouts.  Some have good experiences and some don't.

As it is just the one rear corner I think i will go ahead and get the S001.

Please, for the love of your car (if not your life), replace both of them at the same time.  Admittedly they're not the drive wheels, but you really should replace tyres in pairs, not individually.

• Like 1

Please, for the love of your car (if not your life), replace both of them at the same time.  Admittedly they're not the drive wheels, but you really should replace tyres in pairs, not individually.

Agree with this. Buy the tyre that matches the other side.... at the very least!

Personally I'm not a fan of the Bridgestones on mine. I find them lacking in grip on the front. Mines a Tsi, whether its too light or too much torque I don't know. But I'm very cautious into curves when it's damp on the roads. Only done 6000 miles,so plenty of tread.

Agree with this. Buy the tyre that matches the other side.... at the very least!

+1.  if the other rear is only slightly worn then I'd say replacing just the one, with the same type, ok.  if the other rear is half worn or more, replace the pair and flog the part worn on ebay

Got stock S001's on my vRS (which I stretched onto aftermarket 8.5 rims) and no problems so far... in fact they did wonderfully on the 2500 mile round trip I made just 2 weeks after I collected the car. Much better than the Dunlop Sport Maxx's I had on my Audi which wore like crazy and started cracking within 4 months!

Bridgestones are not the quietest of tyres, but they grip and they wear well in my opinion, and I'd have them again.

+1.  if the other rear is only slightly worn then I'd say replacing just the one, with the same type, ok.  if the other rear is half worn or more, replace the pair and flog the part worn on ebay

mine came with Conti Sport Contact 2's fitted and I haven't been able to find anyone who sells them now.  Still have >5-6mm left on the 'good' rear.

My Blackline came with Conti SCS2 fitted, the fronts were eventually replaced with the Goodyear F1 Assy 2 which were a noticeable improvement.

My Mk3 vRS has come with the Bridgestones fitted and I've got mixed feelings about them if I'm honest - maybe not as bad as the SCS2, but not something I'll be buying again - it will be the Goodyears again as and when it comes to replacements.

mine came with Conti Sport Contact 2's fitted and I haven't been able to find anyone who sells them now.  Still have >5-6mm left on the 'good' rear.

The SC2's are quite old now - i have them on my VRS TSI as well. 

When mine are worn i will get SC5's for sure.

I have the SC2 also. I think the 5 is the same tread pattern, if it is then with 5 or 6 mm on the other rear I might risk getting just 1 new SC5, otherwise I'd replace the pair and eBay (or use the classifieds here) to sell the good sc2. Tbh, with 5mm left... I'd replace the pair.

While on sc2s, I know many on here have worn them out in 8 to 10 k miles on the front but I think mine are going to last easily twice that.  I've only covered 5200 so far but other than the shoulders they show hardly any wear.

I put 2 x s001 on front to replace a factory fit punctured conti Sc2 that are unavailable -

thoughts - initially quieter and more compliant than SC2 - and about same grip in the dry.

after a few thousand miles I would say the bridgestone has (slightly) worse grip in wet conditions than the sc2 that is already poor. It is better in the dry however.

The S001 comes with not much tread depth and is showing heavy wear already - so these are not an economic tyre in wear terms - so only buy if the price is very good.

I will be replacing all 4 with some better tyres in the spring as by then the Bridgestones will have worn as much as the original sc2s.

I would not buy again - was forced to go for these at the time due to lack of stock of anything half decent at the price.

I will be buying Vredestein or Good Year next time and hoping for less wheelspin and better wet weather grip.

I have the SC2 also. I think the 5 is the same tread pattern, if it is then with 5 or 6 mm on the other rear I might risk getting just 1 new SC5, otherwise I'd replace the pair and eBay (or use the classifieds here) to sell the good sc2. Tbh, with 5mm left... I'd replace the pair.

While on sc2s, I know many on here have worn them out in 8 to 10 k miles on the front but I think mine are going to last easily twice that.  I've only covered 5200 so far but other than the shoulders they show hardly any wear.

I have had my SC2's since the cars delivery and they still have 4.5mm or so and i have done over 22,000 miles (however i also have winters so my milage on the SC2 must be around 14,000)