Good review in NZ

I didn't know they made Extreme's in 17"...

Why does it so often seem those reviewing cars (maybe just in NZ?) don't check the basic details?

Yeah its not like the Extremes aren't obvious either TBH. Still at least it's a positive review.

Interesting figures on the Car readout economy wise in the pictures too. Must be short bursts of quick while tootling around cause that average speed isn't fast and so economy isn't flash either.

Edited by snala

Good review, thanks for the heads up. Mildly amused with the reference to sport mode: so you "...can use all its 163kW of power", pretty sure the other modes don't give you fewer kW's!

On fuel economy, even on the open road I struggle to get better than 7.5L/100km. But that seems ok to me ('specially coming from a 4.2 V8...). I'm in NZ driving Northland-Auckland and back mostly, so not many straight roads. And the family of four + roof racks probably ain't helping :) .

Yeah, I've got the diesel VRS so anything not starting with a 4 or at least a 5 seems uneconomical when you are used to that. In the review he's over 10.  When I had the demo petrols to drive the best I got was 7.8 kitset on average over the whole time, so 7.5 is good.

The diesels must like the summer heat because the economy is crazy good right now and at $42 at the pump at the moment to get 850kms its not bad cost wise.

Edited by snala

Good review, thanks for the heads up. Mildly amused with the reference to sport mode: so you "...can use all its 163kW of power", pretty sure the other modes don't give you fewer kW's!

On fuel economy, even on the open road I struggle to get better than 7.5L/100km. But that seems ok to me ('specially coming from a 4.2 V8...). I'm in NZ driving Northland-Auckland and back mostly, so not many straight roads. And the family of four + roof racks probably ain't helping :) .

I've had mine since late October, horrified surprised to see some numbers starting with a 6 for the daily commute.  Obviously I haven't been trying hard enough!  

Mind you the lack of traffic & need to stick closer to 50km/h must have something to do with it.  Does make a change to the 10+l/100km average from the WRX.

Hi just a question to fellow nz owners. How has the front seats worn? I have just got the car and the area where the cloth meets the leather under your thighs looks like it could fray. I have been offered to put full leather in the car by a refitter and they do a really good job. I have seen a brand new car with this done and I thought it was factory leather.

I am just a bit concerned the cloth is not going to handle every day wear very well.

I've had mine since March (23,000kms to date) and no issues with fraying. The 'leather' in that area is starting to get a bit of a shine to it but otherwise holding up fine. I'm also travelling the Northland to Auckland route regularly, and latterly with full boot, wife, baby and roofbox and still getting around 7.5 litres per 100kms or a little better. Must be something to do with the latest police speed crackdown!

Edited by Philiph

I've had mine since November 2013 (26,000kms) and seats look good as new. I do mainly around town but a few longer trips and my average is round the 7 mark. Certainly a lot better than the Audi S4 V8 I had before.

Tomorrow I swap my car for a brand new VRS, mine was one of the first into NZ and came without the VRS mode button. After over a year of chasing up Giltraps and SNZ they finally agreed to the swap. Originally told that it could be retro fitted but finally was told in October that the factory couldn't supply a retro fit, turns out that updating/adding the software was the issue they couldn't resolve.

I don't see myself playing with the mode often but after driving a VRS with it I found I prefer the sport setting (like the heavier steering) and sound generator (miss the noise from my Audi V8) and likely I will use this most of the time (but with the gearbox in normal mode).

• Like 1

Tomorrow I swap my car for a brand new VRS, mine was one of the first into NZ and came without the VRS mode button. After over a year of chasing up Giltraps and SNZ they finally agreed to the swap. Originally told that it could be retro fitted but finally was told in October that the factory couldn't supply a retro fit, turns out that updating/adding the software was the issue they couldn't resolve.

Hey mate, I met you at the owners day back in November, I'm the other vRS owner who previously had an S4.

Happy to hear you sorted the missing button, and a whole new car out of it, score!

Hi just a question to fellow nz owners. How has the front seats worn? I have just got the car and the area where the cloth meets the leather under your thighs looks like it could fray. I have been offered to put full leather in the car by a refitter and they do a really good job. I have seen a brand new car with this done and I thought it was factory leather.

I am just a bit concerned the cloth is not going to handle every day wear very well.

No sign of wear from mine yet. Only 7000km in though.

I was getting 6.5l/100kms coming back to Auckland from Rotorua but thats with cruise control sitting at 100kms. Driving to work and back its more like 11l/100kms plus but thats all stop start bs. Seats still looking good but ive only just passed 4000kms. Vrs tsi by the way.

Edited by willkiwi

I'm about 15,000km in and the seats are looking great apart from a slight (but dodgy-looking) food stain on the driver's seat. We don't have kids or dogs though so that's got to help.

Thanks for the link, Rob. Good article.

Edited by damianpeterson