Cambelt best before date?

The date stamp refers to the date by which the item must be sold by the retailer. It should not be on the shelf after that. Some people might interpret it as the end of its service life, and in the case of a toothed belt which if failed prematurely not many would advise you to fit it for fear of repercussions. That's an example of the nanny state we live in I'm afraid. Off the record though, if it was my own car I'd still fit it. I'd be inclined I think twice if it was for a customer though.

Copied directly from continental website, I read it as 5 years from the date it leaves their premises (date of shipment not date of fitment)

Limited Lifetime Warranty for ContiTech Timing Belts and Timing Belt Kits CRP Industries Inc. warrants that the ContiTech Timing Belts and Timing Belt Kits sold by it are free from defects in material and/or workmanship when subject to normal and proper use for the life of the goods as specified in the current version of the CRP Import Belts & Belt Kits Catalog or the CRP Belts & Belt Kits Catalog or for a maximum of 5 (five) years after the date of shipment, whichever occurs first.

The choice however is yours, I'd chuck it in the bin.

The choice however is yours, I'd chuck it in the bin.

Me too. For what they cost its not worth the risk

Plus you wouldn't have a leg to stand on with the manufacturer if it snapped.

Buy new and branded and keep the receipt with these kind of items is my moto, just in case the worst happens.......