columbus RNS510 maps

g'day

Inspired by the retrofit threads, on a bit of a whim I've just bought a columbus unit to retrofit in my rapid when it arrives in Australia (futurefit?!). The car is being built this week and should arrive in March. The columbus I bought is a 2nd hand one from the UK.  i have a few questions that I'd really appreciate any help on and didnt want to hijack the other threads too much:

1. Is it straightforward to replace the map country.

2. Can I use VW maps or is there Skoda-specific maps?

cheers,

Edited by zed50

Firstly - you need to acquire map updates from a legal, legitimate source such as your main dealer or direct from the map supplier (Navteq). Please do not ask about unauthorised copies of map discs. It's a surefire way of getting your thread deleted.

There should be no issue loading maps for Australia onto the unit (if they are available), it is designed to accept maps for multiple countries and is not locked to a specific region for mapping. The process for loading maps is fairly straightforward - there have been a couple of threads recently showing how to do it.

cool thanks for that. Do you know if I can purchase a VW navigation map from legitimate source? Are the VW RNS510's the same apart from the splashscreen? 

Austria will already be on it if it was a UK one as it's map pack will be Western Europe unless advertised otherwise. RNS510 is the name of the unit yes, Skoda just call it the Columbus. For the maps it's all the same no matter which VAG source you use. Do you know what map version is installed on the unit already? Might not be worth paying to update if it's a recent one and leave it a year or two. 

In the UK some dealers have updated the maps for no charge for their customers (it is only a matter of them putting a DVD in and letting it auto install). If you are buying a new car you could ask them to do this for you as it will be an official VAG part etc. Worth asking. 

Austria will already be on it if it was a UK one as it's map pack will be Western Europe unless advertised otherwise.

Not Austria - Australia - the one with the kangaroos :)

In the UK some dealers have updated the maps for no charge for their customers (it is only a matter of them putting a DVD in and letting it auto install). If you are buying a new car you could ask them to do this for you as it will be an official VAG part etc. Worth asking. 

that's a good idea, I'll ask them if they'll hook me up when i speak to the dealer next. wish i hadn't handed the money over yet, more room for negotiation!