MOT baby, plus some interesting emissions figures

Had my first MOT with this car today, flew through (nice).  Front discs are getting close to an advisory so I'll get this crappy weather and the salty roads out the way and sort them out in the summer.  Anyway, I thought you may be interested to see the emissions figures, pic 1 is the last MOT from before I owned the car, and pic 2 is today's following a terraclean I had done last year.  Don't get me wrong, emissions weren't exactly an issue but I found the drop in HC and C at revs quite pleasing.  I'm not suggesting that a terraclean is essential by any means, I just thought you may find it interesting to see the results on a car with a CAT.

Before

c246b806-86b7-42e7-9b04-51f74d3a8eb8_zps

After

20150114_151635_zpsbe081160.jpg

Don't suppose I can apply for a reduction in road tax on this basis? haha

Performance wise? Hard to say because at the time I was running a bad map (long story) but acceleration was more free particularly top end and there was a touch more mpg (about 1 mpg I reckon). So in a nutshell not exactly night and day differences but I didn't really expect there to be, I got it done because it seemed the car had been standing for a few months at least before I bought it. I'll probably know more when I get it on the rollers in February because I'll get a clearer picture of the lost horses through carbon deposits the terraclean replaced.

Wished I'd got it done with this good map and I'd probably feel more difference and be able to give a more conclusive answer. What I would say is if your fuel system and engine in general is in good health, given the age of our cars and there mileage (although mine was only on 70k) it could well be worth doing and interesting to see what you think. Consider that we probably lost 10bhp, maybe more by now you can probably get most of that back, and with running v power have a very clean motor. Apparently the clean goes up to the CAT so may help prolong the life and efficiency of that. As I said above I'm not suggesting this is a must do job, but can be a pretty effective way of getting smoother running, touch better mpg and a regain of bhp.

• 2 weeks later...