How good are the catalytic convertors in the fabia vrs

Ant-Vrs

Not sure if this has been covered or not.

But how good are the cat in the fabia vrs?

Does anybody know if they have been back to back test/rolling road between standard cat, sport cat then decat.

I'm in two minds what to go for in the vrs, I've already got a milltek decat not fitted yet though.

Any light on this would help.

Cheers Ant

as far as I know, all sports cats I have seen go for MOT's have been fine with emissions ect and reduce back pressure..... however I have never seen a vRS go for MOT without a cat, so I have no idea if they would pass!

as far as performance goes, I would imagine the sports cat and decat to be similar, and the standard to be restrictive....

generic car knowledge, no proof! lol....

I had a 200cell sports cat on my previous car which passed the emissions part of the test with flying colours. Would be surprised if it did pass the test without a cat at all.

If I was you I'd personally, go for the miltek down pipe with sports cat. Think that's what it's called anyway.

I really don't what the milltek on the car with the catback problem I had. Also cobra sport exhaust are developing a new exhaust for the fabia vrs. I'm in talks to them about the sport cat they offer.

I did abit of research on Google and there was an article about a evo. They did dyno runs with different exhaust

Standard cat 295 bhp

Sport cat 304bhp

Decat 305bhp

And reading some post on here with people with mapped and tuning box cars. Some of the figures are good.

Is it worth paying for the sport cat do you think?

Ant

In terms of power you're not getting any less with a cat (going on the above figures you've given anyway) so not a big advantage there with removing the cc. But if you can somehow blag your way through an MOT without one then maybe go down the decat option. I don't know how much you've been quoted for one, and I know they're not cheap, but personally, to save the hassle I'd probably, get the sports cat.

Power, plus doing your bit for the environment and all that ;)

Running a 100CPI catalyst and have no problems with emissions.
Yes, it will perform better with a 100 CPI-catalyst than the stock.
The stock one is an absolute pig in restriction.
And running decat compared to a 100 CPI catalyst is a no-gain.
1 hp might aswell be dynodifferncies, heatdifference etc.
I'd say sport-catalyst all the way :).

I think I'm going with the decat then getting it mapped by DWR Performance. Cobra sport exhaust Sheffield have done me a deal on one fitted (3 hrs labour) when the car goes in to make a catback for it. So the milltek is going. Bring on the power.

Ant

Running decat will however fail MOT :>
I'd still advise going for a sport-catalyst, it's about 2000 sek for a good one in Sweden so I imagine it's a fair bit cheaper at GB as everything else is ;P.

Cars with a catalytic converter and ones without one, doesn't matter sports cat or normal, should have completely different fueling maps.

Catalyst needs CO2 and O2 to sustain two types of catalytic reactions. So engines alternates between slightly lean and slightly rich running. This is not the way to make power :). If you dyno with sports cat on, then take it off and dyno again without new maps then indeed difference will be next to zero.