Local indy servicing

I'm wanting to get my 2009 1.9 pd bxe engine fl octy serviced at my local indy garage who i've entrusted with all my previous cars i've owned beyond their manufacturers warranty period. The mechanic has asked me to supply the correct oil and filters to do the service. I'm seeking some clarification on the correct oil to use, i've read and searched lots of info on here and it seems i can use 2 different vw approved oils -  VW 505.01 or VW 507.00 but not sure which is best for this engine. Also not sure about 5w30 or 5w40 which is best?

I've also read that the bxe engine is pretty bomb proof as long as its serviced correctly, apart from using the right oil and parts, what does 'service correctly' mean? i.e. is there anything unusual or something i need to tell the mechanic to check / replace.

if it helps car has done 85k, 6k since last service but was done by garage i bought it from and don't really trust them. cam belt replacement 4 months ago @ 79k by same garage. No dpf, stage 1 remap.

I bought the car without much evidence of regular servicing, and i'm a little concerned about engine wear caused by incorrect or smart price oil.

Many thanks for your help

Edited by mrfrosty

VW505.01 is the regular service interval oil for PD.  The VW507 is the long life or extended service oil for PD.

PD or Pumpe Duse unit injectors are operated directly by the camshaft, which means there is less space for the actual valve operating cam lobe.  This results in higher unit pressure and more possibility of scuffing and destruction of the shaft and follower.

In practice this only happens if the servicing is neglected or the wrong oil used.  Many PD engines go on to 100,000's miles.

Which viscosity oil?  If you only thrash down to the south of France in summer, then I would opt for the 40 weight.  Living in Sutherland, the 30 weight may be better.  I doubt it will make much difference.

You could have a look, removing the gubbins on top of the engine and remove the valve and you can see all the cam lobes.  I'd get my garage to do it.

My engine has done 110,000miles now, I had it remapped too.  I chose an ex lease car @60,000 as the servicing could be checked.  So far, so...

Some years of BXE have had questions about catastrophic conrod failure - but AFAIK it affects only a couple of years, and yours is not in there.  And not massive numbers either.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, great help.

My understanding is that i can use either VW 505.01 or 507.00 spec for regular servicing. My local asda currently have 4 ltr Castrol Edge 5w30 which is VW 507.00 spec on offer so i think i'll opt for that.

I will mention an inspection of cam lobes to my local mechanic and see what he says.

cheers

I would just use the 507 spec, have a search for item code 171512244583 on your favourite auction site - please note that other sellers are available ( i used this seller last year and delivery was quick and well packaged) this is the oil that your local friendly VW dealer would use, it is rebranded/repackaged Castrol Edge... 

I use ROWE oil for my both cars Octavia II 1.6tdi (VW 504/507 oil) and BMW 728i (BMW longlife-04). Happy with quality, on petrol engine by draining oil color is light brown.This means the oil is able to keep its functions at high temperatures. Use this oil with the OEM oil filter and make 10 000 km between servicing. 

Best price-performance 5L 35.44€ delivered

20150120_153725.jpg

Edited by IngusSeflers

VW 507.01 is the highest spec oil for VAG diesel's. For the extra few pounds over VW 505.01 I'd always go for the 507 whether you are on either fixed or variable services.

If you are providing materials and are unsure of the car's previous history I'd also be providing the following parts:

5 litres of VW 507.01 oil

Oil filter and sump plug (ask the oil is drained out of the sump, not sucked out through the filler cap)

Air filter

Pollen filter

Fuel filter and new gasket.

Consider renewing the brake fluid too.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

VW 507.01 is the highest spec oil for VAG diesel's. For the extra few pounds over VW 505.01 I'd always go for the 507 whether you are on either fixed or variable services.

If you are providing materials and are unsure of the car's previous history I'd also be providing the following parts:

Oil filter and sump plug (ask the oil is drained out of the sump, not sucked out through the filler cap)

Air filter

Pollen filter

I assume you mean 507.00, I don't think there is a 507.01 yet.

Air filter

Pollen filter

Thanks for advice!  ;)

Maintenance-servicing I do myself, I'm mechanic on my daily basis  :peek:  of course I followed the dealer's maintenance program and use OEM filters but oil I choose better.  :D

Air filter I change every 4th 'oil change' there is no point to change air filter every 4-5 month :notme:

Pollen/Cabin filter and Fuel filter once a year. Break fluid I changed last year already ;)  but thanks for attention and advice anyway ;)

I used 507.00 on my last DIY service. 1.9 DPF.

I believe the 507.00 also has a lower ash content for DPF equipped cars so my thinking is it will run a little cleaner...

I also assume that yours is a manual gearbox?

Do you know when the cambelt was last done?

Phil

Edited by Phil-E

I used 507.00 on my last DIY service. 1.9 DPF.

I believe the 507.00 also has a lower ash content for DPF equipped cars so my thinking is it will run a little cleaner...

I also assume that yours is a manual gearbox?

Do you know when the cambelt was last done?

Phil

yes tis manual

I got the dealer to have their garage / mech change the cambelt as a 'deal clincher'. He said the cost was £200 (to them) , however, although i told the sales guy to tell the garage they need to change the belt, water pump pulley and any tensioners, I'm not 100% sure or convinced a proper job was done. My hunch is that they scrimped on just the belt but i'm not sure if there's an easy way to tell? 

This was 4 months ago @ 79k, now 86k.

thanks