Rear mud flaps

Hello everyone

Got my rear mud flaps on the car today. Having picked up a low-profile Rolson right-angle ratchet screwdriver set, I was able to fit them without removing the rear wheels.

16379709642_a99a27e2bc_c.jpg

16354639196_fe8982ea93_c.jpg

16380618815_db429ae190_c.jpg

Have to say, not massively impressed - the moulding of either the flaps or the rear bumper is off, so they don't line up around the edge properly (and no amount of fiddling with screw positions helped.

Hopefully they might soften up and mould to the bumper as they get warmer.

Next job is the front ones. I think I can do them now without removing the front wheels. I've bought a right-angle drill adapter, ad think I can drill the necessary 7mm hole for the retaining grommet just by turning the car to full lock.

I found on my Toledo they don't hug the bottom of the curve very well. You need to be eagle eyed though to spot it, which I guess you and me are. I thought it's because they are Skoda parts, on a Toledo. :notme:  but they look good.

Regards the fronts, I found that if you fit the two screws in loose up the side that go through the wing liner then mark the very bottom one whilst holding in place. I actually drilled from the rear, meaning lying on my back and going under the car with the drill. With that eagle eye I managed to guess where I should make a mark to drill through with a little dob of white paint. You are only drilling through the bottom of the plastic wing liner anyway, for a push stud type fixing.

Assuming from your photos 'chrisgreen' you have 15" alloys, you should have no issues in fitting the front flaps without removing the wheels . Refer to my last posting on the thread below.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/335333-mudflaps/page-2

Yep, I have the 15inch wheels. However, didn't fancy going in from behind (fnarr) and guesstimating, or drilling at a cack-handed angle from the front, hence the right angle drill adapter. On full lock, drilling the hole straight & true "should" be easy.

Famous last words :)

• Like 1

Yep, I have the 15inch wheels. However, didn't fancy going in from behind (fnarr) and guesstimating, or drilling at a cack-handed angle from the front, hence the right angle drill adapter. On full lock, drilling the hole straight & true "should" be easy.

Famous last words :)

I couldn't find my 'Dremel' (Lidl alternative) at the time which could have also done the job .  

The only other advice I can add is before you push the plastic plug in with one hand (in the newly drilled hole), create some resistance with the other hand from behind, as the plastic liner can flex a little with you pushing the plug. I found that it went in a little 'cleaner' this way. 

The only other advice I can add is before you push the plastic plug in with one hand (in the newly drilled hole), create some resistance with the other hand from behind, as the plastic liner can flex a little with you pushing the plug. I found that it went in a little 'cleaner' this way.

Yep - found that out when I did the first of the rear mud flaps.

Have to say, not massively impressed - the moulding of either the flaps or the rear bumper is off, so they don't line up around the edge properly (and no amount of fiddling with screw positions helped.Hopefully they might soften up and mould to the bumper as they get warmer.

Are you sure you've got the right flaps?... the Rapid hatch and Rapid Spaceback rear mudflaps are different (very subtly) but share an almost identical part no. so it's very easy to confuse them. The fronts, however, are the same for the Hatch and Spaceback.

And at this time of year you're always better off leaving the flaps on a radiator for an hour or two before fitting, or soak them in a bucket of hot water.

Edited by Nookiebear

Are you sure you've got the right flaps?... the Rapid hatch and Rapid Spaceback rear mudflaps are different (very subtly) but share an almost identical part no.

Yes, they are definitely the correct (Spaceback) part.