oil question

Hi all....i know there are a billion threads on this subject but i just have one question which icwoukd like an experienced answer on, my 56 plate vrs tfsi is recommended to use 5w30 oil but i was on the rtech website today and they recommend 5w40 for the tfsi especially if mapped so thats what i have brought and am doing an oil change tomoz, is this ok? Will using 5w40 break my engine?

from my oil analysis almost all oils have lesser viscosity than they claim.

I use always 5W-40 because I push engine hard and also change oil max. at 10k km (with Liqui Moly oils). If you use standard garage/service oils max. 5000km oil change.

It is always better to buy cheap oil and change it often than expensive premium oils - in the end they are useless before their real life span.

Otherwise, even with racing oils 10W-50 you can't damage your engine. If you push your car hard, go for racing oils - higher second number the better oil performance at high temperatures.

That's for diesel engines - petrol will be different. If you push your car hard go for racing oil such as Motul 300V 10W-50 or MIllers Oils.

It is all down to your driving style - manual just RECOMMENDS oils ;-)

All very funny the olive oil comments.

I'm a great fan of Castrol.

Been using it in every car n bike for over 20 years.

My PD gets castrol Edge fst 5/30 fully synth all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, VAG screwed up specifications and recommended too low viscosity oil - result were turbo, engine damages ;-) Than there is so many e-experts who believe on oil myths ;-)

Such as wrong oil spec damage DPF.

You MUST always use manufacturer recommendation.

Boy how many times I heard that and most funny thing is - it comes from people who already damaged their cars by own stupidity ;-)

Fact is 5W-30 is in most cases 5W-20/25 because oil mixers like to sell cheap rubbish for high profits. Even premium oils such as Liqui Moly can't get it right ;-) Liqui Moly Diesel High Tech 5W-40 is in real life 5W-35 ;-)

Use common sense and intelligence - if you are scared, pay for oil analysis of your favourite oil. It cost nothing and you will find out how long you can use your oil ;-)

Lets shed some light and warning.

A report of oil analysis - recently bought Skoda Octavia II. All serviced in approved Skoda Service in Germany. I've absolutely no idea what sort of oil (according to VAG spec) they used - results are catastrophic. Basically, any garage, dealer or so on uses cheapest **** they can buy in barrels but it fits to VAG specification !!

I've got two reports - see for your self.

Lets shed some light and warning.

A report of oil analysis - recently bought Skoda Octavia II. All serviced in approved Skoda Service in Germany. I've absolutely no idea what sort of oil (according to VAG spec) they used - results are catastrophic. Basically, any garage, dealer or so on uses cheapest **** they can buy in barrels but it fits to VAG specification !!

I've got two reports - see for your self.

WTF?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

If you run taxi and your worn engines eat oil - I wouldn't bother about premium oils ;-)

Any logistic firma uses cheap oil and replace it often because it cost them less in long run. Oil change takes 10 minutes - engine replacement perhaps two days ;-)

Use the wrong oil and any warranty claim will be thrown out. FACT. Why pay for analysis which might say it is OK if Skoda throw out a claim for an engine which costs you hundreds or thousands? Use what they "recommend" and they can't say any failure is due to you using the wrong oil.

Intelligence and common sense is fine -- my argument about less frequent oil changes with the recommended oil over cheap oil and more frequent changes makes perfect sense to me. Try telling the taxi drivers whose cars are doing 150k km every year to do what you say -- they would have the car off the road every 2 or three weeks to change the oil if they worked to your suggestion!

Sorry, I don't buy your suggestion that the oil within a bottle that you buy is not as described on the label. At least in the UK there are laws against that -- it's called Trading Standards, and it is ILLEGAL to sell goods that are not as described. And once again there is a legal claim against anything proved not to be as described when a customer purchases any item. 

Mike

I never buy new cars - I can't tell.

I do service myself and my cars last forever - my friends are upset because my 300k km Fabia drives better than their new cars ;-)

Furthermore, I push stock cars to the limits and beyond - if I would use manufacturer recommendations, my cars would be dead within 100k km ;-)

Unless, I crash my Octavia...500k km is min life span.

I understand your worry and confusion - oil recommendations are same principle as "would you jump from the window if I asked you?"...of course NOT...you have to customise your engine oil to your driving style.

Service doesn't care, manufacturers too - they need to make money. Broken cars are best business for them.

it's resized by Briskoda - once, you get into gallery you have to zoom it. I can read it clearly on my Mac 17" 1920x1280

Try something like photobucket or image shack. Even when I download it, its illegible.

Not in this part of the world they don't. I personally know a few taxi drivers with 400,000 miles on the clock (700,000 KM) that have been done in less than 4 years. All have Octavia 1,9 PD and none use any oil -- because they have been properly looked after and serviced as per recommendation.

The drivers rely totally on their cars as a source of their income, and I do not know of one single driver who will risk their cars off the road for the sake of saving a few pounds when it comes to looking after them properly.

Mike

From mechanical point of view - any engine is dead after about 200k km on average driver style...no cooling of turbo, rev it hard and so on.

My last Fabia (in oil report) had 225k km on ODO - officially the engine was dead. Compression was at lowest level 1.9bar.

Then, it just eats more and more oil and runs more and more horrible.

You can have best service in the world but you can't stop wearing of components ;-) Jet engines have silver coating to last little longer.

What happens with worn engines? They don't really need oil change because you have to constantly top up oil. You just need to change oil filter. That's the reality of long runners.

My engines never needed top up because I used thicker oil than specified.

Try something like photobucket or image shack. Even when I download it, its illegible.

you are lucky, I recently made a web site for confused drivers.

http://www.hajes-racing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fabia.png

http://www.hajes-racing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/octavia.png