Octavia Auxiliary heater

On a second-hand car, how could I identify if the car has Auxiliary heating. Was it an option? Or standard equipment?

I gather that there may be a remote control for it, but should that have been mislaid, what could I see outwardly on the outside (an aerial) or under the bonnet (a box of tricks) that could help me?

Thanks.

Maybe. That said I was just reading the online owners manual for the 2012 car and it's detailed in there; which lead to my question :)

Maybe. That said I was just reading the online owners manual for the 2012 car and it's detailed in there; which lead to my question :)

The handbook covers all potential options, even those not available in the UK.

mkI was available as a diesel 4x4 and was listed in the manual but never sold in the UK.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I've just read the UK Octavia 2012 brochure here and it appears that it was a Factory option, headed "Independent heating for diesel engines**"

** Independent heating allows the driver to begin heating up the car by remote control so frosty windows can clear without scraping.

It's only a few weeks ago that I VCDS coded an auxiliary heater in an Octavia (owned by mixskoda on here). He obtained the unit from a Golf. and it fitted and coded in straight away.

Mike

Webasto or electric?

Electric. I was amazed (and alarmed) at the thickness of the supply cables to the heater -- I wouldn't like to put one in mine. Would be a real battery killer on a cold morning I would think..

VCDS was saying it was taking 55 amps of current!

Mike

Peak output from them is about 1kW, so with a 12V supply that means muchos amps.

I presume it was one of the can controlled ones - the list price of a brand new one is nearly £500 with the vat.

Do an ebay search for VW Auxiliary heater, and there are Golf VI versions on here for £35. Obviously the cabling will have to be added to this, but from memory this is just the thick supply and earth direct to the battery (fused) and a can high and can low. There may be other connections to the heater controls, hopefully mixskoda will come on here and clarify.

Mike

There are two versions, the rev E is CAN based but the later rev F are not CAN and instead are controlled by the climate control. Obviously the rev F are a lot cheaper. The rev E ones seem to go for £75-100 on eBay.

Hi, as mikeholroyd said, I fitted a canbus controlled one to my Octavia and had Mike activate it through VCDS. I purchased it from a vw breakers along with the small connection that plugs into the side of it. This is what you splice into the canbus wires, I attached mine behind the heater control unit. I used heavy 6mm wire with proper crimped connections for the 12v and earth. The +ve wire went from the fuse box through a 100amp fuse and followed the loom through the bulkhead and attached to the +ve terminal on the heater. The -ve wire went from the -ve terminal on the heater to an earth point at the base of the nearside door pillar.

I found if you went to a breakers yard and looked at the fuse box first, if there was a heavy red wire coming off it with a 100amp fuse, chances are it had a heater fitted. This was on vw golfs or passats. If you looked inside at the heater controls, if it had climate control then it would be the canbus controlled heater fitted. By pulling the side trim off the passenger side of the centre console then you would be able to see the heater and heavy wires directly in front of the heater matrix. If you do find one, make sure you get the small plug and some wire for the canbus, plus the cover for the heater as this will differ from your existing one which covers the hole where it goes in the heater box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are some pictures to help explain the the above. The 100amp fuse on the fuse box, The slot in front of the heater matrix - after the cover has been removed, The heater with the +ve and -ve threaded posts and the small plug hole along with the new cover, The unit fitted to the heater box with the heavy wire in view and the small plug with wire to splice into the canbus loom.

post-82876-0-46349600-1424130677_thumb.jpg

post-82876-0-38815000-1424130749_thumb.jpg

post-82876-0-32236000-1424130817_thumb.jpg

post-82876-0-31110500-1424130847_thumb.jpg