Pedal To The Metal???

ap0gee1978

During part of my trip into work, I decided to find out what would happen if I tried to make my up-changes without taking my foot off the accelerator. As far as I can make out, it worked pretty well but sounded a bit funny because of the revs going up each time I put the clutch in. It might even have been a bit faster overall than doing it 'properly'. I can't imagine it does the clutch any good, so I don't plan on doing it ever again, but it got me curious:

Does anyone know if it is faster? (Trackday experience or whatever)

Would it work as a substitute for double-declutching on down-shifts? (a la Advanced Drivers)

Any ideas???

It's a technique which in theory does give you faster acceleration but does put increased strain on the engine, clutch and gearbox. Not particularly recommended ! For your next trick why not try driving home from work only using the clutch when moving off in first gear ?

Easy enough changing up. Trickier changing down. Got to get the revs right. Try it at lunchtime and report back ? ;)

It just needs a little blip of the throttle as you go down.

It was easy enough on my old bike. I've not tried it on the current one as it's too nice to abuse :D

Try it in the car I mean ! Honestly it's not that hard, like you said just a little blip of the throttle as you downshift, and don't force the gear stick, just push it gently and it will slot in when the revs match.

greg2302 does not accept any responsibility for any Briskoda members trashing their gearboxes or clutches whilst attempting this little experiment ...... :lol:

For your next trick why not try driving home from work only using the clutch when moving off in first gear ?

I can remember doing just that when learning to drive in my mum and dad's Volvo. It was just about do-able as the car revved quite high on tick-over, but I soon learned to do it 'properly'!!! :D

I also remember taking my driving instructor's car out of gear without using the clutch (which happened easily enough, I think), but he pointed out my mistake before I tried to engage the next gear!!! :doh:

I remember doing that in my Mum and Dad's Volvo too ! Magic ! In fact you didn't even need the clutch to pull away, just push the lever gently towards first until a little speed built up and in it went ! Off out to try it in the TT now, for old times sake :)

Guess some people learned to drive in ideal "learner" cars. ;) Learn in the oldest, most basic car possible. :thumbup:

I got to learn in Dad's 1.9i Volcane trim Citreon ZX with 130bhp. :cool: Wasn't just quick, but for a petrol was very forgiving for the inevitable 3rd to 4th, when I wanted 2nd. :D Wouldn't stall. Being a "newer" car it didn't need anything special clutch related either. Luxury. :)

I am surprised 'Toe & Heel' hasn't yet been mentioned in this thread. Not directly related but surely the only recognised advantage of unconventional pedal operation.

I used to be able to go from 1st to 5th and back down to 2nd without touching the clutch or getting nasty noises in my old 1.3 Astra. Getting into 1st from neutral sucessfully without a clutch is not easy though. Took some practice and lots of crunching to get it right but the box had 150k on it anyway.