Octy 2, 6 Speed Gearbox Problem

Yesterday on my way home from work started getting whining noise from the front end. Had to go out about 40 miles on the motorway later on and noise rapidly got worse, especially on acceleration and overrun. A couple of times it felt like the gears slipped, as if driving on ice then going back onto Tarmac.

As the drive progressed I discovered that 3rd and 5th gears have pretty much given up completely, 1,2, 4 and 6 still working, 6 best. All gears making noise under acceleration and juddering badly on overrun. Reverse is acting like I have a digital clutch - either in or out.

I know it's sounding horrendous and expensive, but any ideas? Have had suggested by mechanic mates that I probably need new (recon) gearbox and therefore change clutch and flywheel at the same time.

Car is a '54 plate diesel Octy 2, has done 147k. Any suggestions, or is it time to get rid (quickly)?

Sounds like the box has had it. You may get unit from breakers or price up recon unit. Suppose it depends what it costs and how long your hoping to keep it for. As it is a diesel probably got another 100k at least to go so it should be worth it if you plan to keep it.

Seem the 6 speed design and manufacture ain't that great as I have got 6 speed gearbox problems on my 2010 scout. Currently got it in central vw audi Birmingham , and they stripping box and replacing all synchro parts for approx 1500 quid.

Recon box costs about 3500+ at main dealers.

Hoping it like brand new when I pick it up :-)

Agree with snig71. I've had a similar problem (not on my Octy fortunately) and lost gears when I changed down from top. Once it started it was intermittent as to which gears were available. My mechanic friend suggested a replacement box as no point trying to sort out which worn parts were causing the problem. Your choice as to recon unit or a spanker.

Thanks folks, Ingus, not mapped, started getting a very small amount of noise last week, thought it was possibly a wheel bearing going, then through the course of yesterday it got rapidly and severely worse.

Yeah, I think although the body and engine might have more miles in them it might be time for me to get rid. :-/