Engine identification and age

Hello,

I have been told that the engine in my 2010 Octavia Diesel Estate is a new / replacement engine.  Is there anyway to verify this?  There is a metal plate on the front face of the engine showing the following:

0383830R    V500 DE

Would Skoda be the best source of information for this?   There is no paperwork for the vehicle as it is ex Police and all the spnnering was undertaken by Police mechanics within the Force and not at dealerships

Any advice appreciated

Hi Snig,  If only,   I don't have the complete V5 as yet, only the small tear off portion of the form which provides very little information.   I've had another look for the engine number as I think the original number I quoted. is in fact the cylinder head gasket part number.  Can anyone tell me where the engine number is to be located on the engine?

if the engine was replaced by a main dealer, then the replacement engine will have been stamped by them with the same number as the original. The old engine would then be reconditioned and the engine number removed ready for the next customer.

Let me know if Kent constabulary are helpful regarding this as i would like a little more info regarding mine too, ie timing belt changes, i got a little printout with when it has been serviced over its life but little else, mines only owner was Police and crime commisioner of Kent police 

Dan

Hello

Manyo.  I have no information re who did the engine change.  I had a main Skoda agent look on his computer for the vehicles history, nothing recorded at all,  so I can only assume that all the work, including the engine change was done in-house by the Police mechanics.

Dan.  Check the printout you were given.  I got one of those but when I looked closer it was obviously relating to another vehicle as the service history and date on Police strength date of first registration didn't tally.  I've spoken to the seller and he has agreed to sort this out and send the correct service record.

Nothing heard from Kent Police as yet, but early days yet.

More on the engine number.  i've now found what i believe to be the engine number.  On the front centre of the block very very faintly  etched? are a series of 10 numbers starting 3-47 and ending 027.  Does this seem right? Should there be ten numbers?

Beneath this series of number is what I believe to be a date 14 05 12.  My vehicle is a 2010 reg so could this 14 05 12 be the date when this engine was refurbished / built.  My car apparently had a replacement engine fitted by the Police around May 2013 so that date would fit.  Beneath the date is a small. etched square, nothing written in it just a polished square.

Any thoughts anyone

Let me know if Kent constabulary are helpful regarding this as i would like a little more info regarding mine too, ie timing belt changes, i got a little printout with when it has been serviced over its life but little else, mines only owner was Police and crime commisioner of Kent police 

Dan

Hello Dan,  didn't get any response to my e mail to Kent Police so I phoned them up and asked for Transport Services.  Spoke with a very helpful workshop tech who e mailed me a very comprehensive service history for the car. Service intervals, repairs, even down to puncture repairs, all dated and costed.  It's true the Police do spend a fortune fettling their cars and keeping them top line.