Diesel fuel filter modification

This subject pops up from time to time so I thought I would just offer my solution.

The standard setup Is arranged so excessive fuel not needed by the injector pump is returned to the filter before The valve In the top of the fuel filter allows the excess fuel back to the tank these can sometimes cause problems.

Secondly when changing the fuel filter fuel can run back to the tank making bleeding more difficult.

I have fitted a diesel filter off a Rover 45 which is identical in every way apart from not having the return valve, it does have a bleed screw which I use to fill the filter after changing it.

The return fuel lines Originally joined with the valve are simply connected together with a piece of suitable tubing.

Secondly I have installed a nonreturn valve on the supply side to prevent fuel returning

Also some people have fitted an in-line pump as well.

IMG_20150220_1007011_zpsdszncgbk.jpg
Edited by rv125
  • Like 1

20150223_214300.jpg

i did exactly the same to mine, but I used a freelander filter, which is probably the same as the rover 45 one, rather than using a non return valve I put a priming bulb in the fuel feed line before the filter

the return valve you mention on top of the oem filter is actually a thermostat, it allows warmed fuel to be recirculated into the filter and allows it to act as a pre heating swirl chamber for the diesel fuel. With the climate here in the uk it never gets cold enough here to worry about pre heating fuel, might be different if you are running on veg oil though.

• Like 1