43k with the 1.8 TSI

Well... My 58 reg 1.8 TSI elegance Octavia celebrates her 3rd birthday with me today

Bought for a smidge over 5K with 63k on the clock

Today she is showing 106,000 miles that`s 43k trouble free

Absolutely sweet as can be, average 40mpg

Costs are...4 bulbs, 2 rear pads and 8 oil changes

Great car which always makes me smile

• Like 4

So wish i could see 40 Mpg average. I get between 28 and 35 Mpg currently on my 10 mile commute to work, and thats driving like a vicar. That does include a fair amount of stop start. In the warm weather i have seen 46 Mpg but that was really taking it easy at about 65 Mph on the Mway with my summer tyres on..

Hi PC1212,   Congratulations on owning the finest car Skoda have made ! I have the same car exactly but mine is a 2011 F L model  and 3 .5 yrs old. I have done 21,000 miles  and  far so good but I get anxious when I read all the talk on here about the 1.8 TSI becoming  oil burners  and chain tensioners failing. Both requiring new engines at great cost. I know you have not had yours from new but does your's have any history of the above before you got it ?  You seem to be the only guy I've seen on here who has a 1.8 TSI who is not complaining of these problems. Your comments and observations would be much appreciated please. I love my car and plan to keep it for a long time if all goes well  and have extended my warranty just in case .  Cheers  and happy motoring !

• Like 1

I can not comment about previous  work.

I bought her with 63k  on the clock, nothing had been logged apart from the 3 services, however 20k miles between oil changes does seem extreme

My car uses a litre of oil every 6k which I don not think is bad at all

Thankfully there are possibly tens of thousands chain cam TSI cars running around with no issues, you only hear about the disasters on here

I do feel for those who have had tensioner  failure and its a real shame , putting people off a superb car and engine.

Mind you the Tsi`s seem cheaper than most cars so it is not all bad, many appear terrified of the tensioner issue?

But now for me the car has paid for itself  5 grand for 3 years motoring is a good return

She owes me nothing I guess... I would keep her but fancy a change

She is a very fast car, I had the super chips remap  to 210 bhp and she  absolutely flies.... 

Maybe I have been lucky or maybe the regular oil changes help?

• Like 1