Columbus map install problem

Hi All!

I have recently taken delivery of a a skoda superb II with the columbus system.

These were the details of the unit before any fettling:

Delivery Part No: 3T0035680C
HW-Version: H60
SW-Version: 3984
Active Map Coverage: West Europe
Active map supplier: Navteq
Map Version HDD: 7551

Camberley_Chris has been a great help supporting me whilst attempting to update the maps, to version 12 from 7.X

Unfortunately, during the map install, I had to leave the car, and I was sure that I had pressed install to HDD (40gb 3 partition). (Later in this upgrade journey, I noticed a message that said 'please start the engine to protect the battery'....maybe this could be a cause of the problem below?)

Now, instead of the map version 8195 HDD, I have 8195 DVD.

I am unable to get the head unit to get a new map version to start a fresh install to the hard drive with the usual messages after DVD insert.

Everytime I insert a DVD, sat nav works fine, using the DVD, but I hit eject, and the message 'naivigation map download in progress' as if it is installing stuff to the HDD. The last time I did this, the progress bar just cycled throught abour 5 times, and took 90 mins.

Obviously there is a problem here, but I was wondering what could be done to 'force' the head unit to do a fresh install?

I am on firmware 5270.

I have map versions 10 11 and 12, but the unit doesn't like version 10 at all, and says there is an error with the DVD.
The reason I want this sorted is because of this background process attempting to install something, but not achieving it. This takes battery power

Any ideas?

Miles away from me I'm afraid.

Essentially what you need to do is delete the failed maps install on the hard drive and reinstall, preferably with a good quality maps disc (or the genuine one if possible). If you can find someone local with RNS service tool of some description then it's a simple procedure to do but involves removing the unit to connect to the rear with a laptop. Then it should be possible to install the maps again.

You'd need to enable the downgrade in the developer menu (if you have access to that) and then get hold of a firmware which is actually a factory one and not a butchered version from somewhere on the web. Most are "modified" versions (which basically means not as good as original) and you just never know with them if you're doing the right thing or not. So many people play about with versions and then load them up on the web for others to enjoy, and there's loads of issues develop when people use them and then try and update maps etc.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of firmware upgrades as a solution to a different problem. You might get there in the end, but things could go even more wrong. But yes, a factory firmware install should reformat the hard drive to allow a fresh maps install.

I'm up in North Yorks.

I had problems on mine too.

In the end I used a technique that actually copies the maps off the SD card.

You burn a disc, copy the maps to the SD card then put the card and disc in and off it goes. Was quicker than the DVD and worked straight away.

I can't find where I got the info etc from now.. but I seem to have found a gem here:

http://christian-jeanin.ro/blog/software/maps-tool-en/

Phil

• Like 1

I had problems on mine too.

In the end I used a technique that actually copies the maps off the SD card.

You burn a disc, copy the maps to the SD card then put the card and disc in and off it goes. Was quicker than the DVD and worked straight away.

I can't find where I got the info etc from now.. but I seem to have found a gem here:

http://christian-jeanin.ro/blog/software/maps-tool-en/

Phil

Thanks very much Phil. I have seen this site whilst trawling the net, and \i think this is the next step!

Problem solved! I used the sd card method, and it worked very well. The v12 maps are now installed on the hard drive, and I am no longer using the dvd for navigation!

Thanks very much for your help and guidance one and all! I am chuffed to bits! :p

• Like 1

Fantastic!

I must say I'm very impressed with that piece of software.

Lets hope when v13 maps come out he will update it to support those too.

Phil

Fantastic!

I must say I'm very impressed with that piece of software.

Lets hope when v13 maps come out he will update it to support those too.

Phil

I am not going to touch my system for quite a while now! Just very glad it is all installed onto the hdd. The navigation is much quicker from the hdd than from the dvd!