Contact import incomplete

Are they likely to be the oldest contacts? When I sync my phone the car only gets the contacts I've added since I got this phone. The ones which were imported (though Google, I think) are not included. Obviously these are the ones I use most. :-(

MIB2 and Android 4.3 at the moment, although I'm about to attempt to "upgrade" to Android 5.1.

Rodge, you're brilliant!  Gone through about a month of call logs, randomly checked about 30, and NONE were in the Armundsen contacts memory.

So could explain it.  Now, if there were a way to have the most recently used contacts to upload first that would be a step in the right direction - just have to make sure to sync contacts regularly (maybe that happens by default).

Thanks Rodge.

Ha ha ha ha ha!!! Tell you what pal, sell your car and get one with adequate phone book capabilities. Your problem is solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a company car, but I'd have to do something if it were my own.  As it's a 'free' car (except the tax I have to pay) one tends to be more forgiving I guess.  Also, it's otherwise a great car.  Had two BMWs prior to (now) two VRS.  I prefer the Skodas - chronic BMW driver back problem gone for one thing.

Are they likely to be the oldest contacts? When I sync my phone the car only gets the contacts I've added since I got this phone. The ones which were imported (though Google, I think) are not included. Obviously these are the ones I use most. :-(

MIB2 and Android 4.3 at the moment, although I'm about to attempt to "upgrade" to Android 5.1.

Seems to be working properly now I'm on Lollipop, but then I've only got about 300 contacts and half of those need deleting.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Skoda UK called me back!  most impressed they did that.  And not some lacky but a switched on intelligent sounding chap that by the discussion we had was most likely middle management, and certainly knowledgeable about tech.

He confirmed that the 2000 contacts is a firm limit and no plans to change this to their knowledge.

The only solution is to reduce the contact quantity on the phone to 2000 or less.

Also no way of ensuring the frequently used or 'recent' contacts sync first.

Spent a whole day & evening putting 'housekeeping' the least frequently used contacts into an archive PST on my Outlook (effectively out of sight of my work smartphone sync), leaving my Microsoft Exchange work account with just under 2000 contacts via my laptop.

As soon as I bluetoothed the phone to the head unit, contact details appeared, so rather unsatisfactory work around does work.  

On another Briskoda thread the following suggestion might be worth a try...

I entirely agree with this, along with a number of other frustrations with the VW head units which have very average UIs and underlying functionality which is often badly compromised. Quite honestly I think the only realistic answer is to use CarPlay or one of the other smartphone interfaces, so that your smartphone does all the heavy lifting with the added benefit of a decent UI designed by people who know how to do UIs. The car manufacturers are amateurs at best in this area.

I entirely agree with this, along with a number of other frustrations with the VW head units which have very average UIs and underlying functionality which is often badly compromised. Quite honestly I think the only realistic answer is to use CarPlay or one of the other smartphone interfaces, so that your smartphone does all the heavy lifting with the added benefit of a decent UI designed by people who know how to do UIs. The car manufacturers are amateurs at best in this area.

• 7 months later...

Update:

Skoda UK called me back!  most impressed they did that.  And not some lacky but a switched on intelligent sounding chap that by the discussion we had was most likely middle management, and certainly knowledgeable about tech.

He confirmed that the 2000 contacts is a firm limit and no plans to change this to their knowledge.

The only solution is to reduce the contact quantity on the phone to 2000 or less.

Also no way of ensuring the frequently used or 'recent' contacts sync first.

Spent a whole day & evening putting 'housekeeping' the least frequently used contacts into an archive PST on my Outlook (effectively out of sight of my work smartphone sync), leaving my Microsoft Exchange work account with just under 2000 contacts via my laptop.

As soon as I bluetoothed the phone to the head unit, contact details appeared, so rather unsatisfactory work around does work.  

On another Briskoda thread the following suggestion might be worth a try...

That's a dumb suggestion from Skoda UK. It's a suggestion designed to make folk take their business elsewhere. Regards JCS

Seriously, 2,000 contacts isn't restrictive in 99% of cases, but for those of you who are having trouble, it's hardly a deal breaker is it? Talk about "First World Problems"

It is a deal breaker. What's the point in not being able to phone your closest contacts because they randomly aren't sync'd? 50% of the folk I call regularly aren't sync'd. Regards JCS

Ha ha ha ha ha!!! Tell you what pal, sell your car and get one with adequate phone book capabilities. Your problem is solved.

Brilliant idea. I'll get working on it. Thanks JCS

Have you tried Apple Car Play or Android auto, if your Octavia has Smartlink?

The contacts stay on the phone, you just use the cars bluetooth to make calls.

This works around the 2000 limit.

Wow. JCS. Where have you been for the last eight months? Trying to sync your contacts?

Good work fella.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I cant imagine that most people find 2000 OK. I have about 4500, and like others have said, often my commonly used numbers dont get synced.

What a dumb restriction. I also have a Hyndai which costs half as much, and no such restriction.

Edited by deepakvrao