Starter jammed against the flywheel

I have a 1.9tdi Octavia on a 2000. I recently had a new clutch and SMF switchover. Every now and again (going round sharp corners at low speeds) I get a metalic tinkle - I'm presumuing from the SMF. Today I got a prelonged tinkle after a scoot away from the lights. At the next set a little perturbed by this I turned the igniton off and then on - except there was no on. I assumed battery failure but my very good indi tells me the starter motor was jammed against the SMF - they put it in gear and rocked it and all is now running fine. Its still a bit disconcerting re commuting or even round town. Ideas anyone in terms of it being just a glitch or something else?

Edited by golfpro93

I wonder, the following are possible rather than likely:-

• Solonoid not pulling pinion all the way back and holding it there every time.
  • Ring gear not in right place on flywheel (slightly too near engine.

When the same garage fitted the clutch/SMF they said they'd never seen a FWheel that heavy/large. I'm just (also) wondering whether it was simply 'clearance issues' - but that would be all the time surely?

Just an update on this. It started fine this morning but the more it is run the more it 'seem's to have issues starting. 3 engine turns first thing. 5 the next time it was started. Bit odd with a hot engine that generally improves with running starting wise.