Fabia Stereo Upgrade

At £200 it looks like a reasonable offering. However, it isn't a DAB radio which seems to be a bit of an oversight. Additionally, I would want to know more about the source of the SatNav data for the UK and updates.

I would personally steer clear.. I have had stuff from xtrons before and it was extremely cheap in every aspect.

I would stick to a better known brand (pioneer) or original Skoda upgrade..

Cheers,yeah,I have talked myself out of that....

Wonder if a Bolero would go in the Fabia............ :notme:

I put in a RNS 315 this weekend, Mine has Bluetooth built in but doesn't have the DAB, but there are versions out there that have DAB as well as Bluetooth and some that have neither, but there seem to be loads going around the £300 mark just have to be patient to drop on one really at a good price.

I put in a RNS 315 this weekend, Mine has Bluetooth built in but doesn't have the DAB, but there are versions out there that have DAB as well as Bluetooth and some that have neither, but there seem to be loads going around the £300 mark just have to be patient to drop on one really at a good price.

Does the steering wheel controls and reverse sensor graphics work with this unit?

And does it simply plug in?

Cheers.....

I know it's a lot of money but the kenwood dnx521dab is amazing in the fabia, had mine not a year yet and it's the best thing I've got for the car.

Genuine question - as a matter of interest, what is so amazing about the Kenwood DNX-521DAB? It costs over £700 and doesn't seem to get great reviews. When I was looking at the vRS some time ago the dealer seemed more interested in selling me one of these than the car - right up until I asked him what the problems were with the standard Swing radio.

How often do updates come out for the SatNav, are they accurate and how much do they cost? The updates for my cheapo TomTom cost less than £50 per year, come out quarterly, are pretty accurate (mostly) and include the UK and France - also I can easily move the TomTom from car to car :)

Genuine question - as a matter of interest, what is so amazing about the Kenwood DNX-521DAB? It costs over £700 and doesn't seem to get great reviews. When I was looking at the vRS some time ago the dealer seemed more interested in selling me one of these than the car - right up until I asked him what the problems were with the standard Swing radio.

How often do updates come out for the SatNav, are they accurate and how much do they cost? The updates for my cheapo TomTom cost less than £50 per year, come out quarterly, are pretty accurate (mostly) and include the UK and France - also I can easily move the TomTom from car to car :)

well its got everything you want it to do in the car. You can have the radio/dab/usb/cd with nav running in the split screen mode or full nav screen and use the phone at the same time. They are alot cheaper now in the net. Mines upto date with everything but you can pay for the extra maps which I having. Plus there is phone service which you can ring up if you get stuck like I did when updating it. The usb as to be blank when update via it.

If your close to Derbyshire or going to any skoda meet I am more than happy to show you it.

Ant

Simple job? Did you run the mic to the housing above the rear view mirror?

Looking for bluetooth options on the standard swing but a full upgrade looks like the best option

Cheers

ACSC

Just purchase a 2014 fabia elegance and was thinking about changing the standard radio to one of the Sat Nav units.

I see the amunsden systems are in some. But what are my other option? What are the prerequisites for one that will work? My current radio doesn't have DAB, do I need to install an extra aerial? I am pretty simple with these things, so any help would be appreciated?

Just purchase a 2014 fabia elegance and was thinking about changing the standard radio to one of the Sat Nav units.

I see the amunsden systems are in some. But what are my other option? What are the prerequisites for one that will work? My current radio doesn't have DAB, do I need to install an extra aerial? I am pretty simple with these things, so any help would be appreciated?

alot depends on your budget 

rcd310 from a late vw will fit but you will need a dab aerial (stick on screen seems to be a usual favorite) 

rcd 510 is also in dab and includes six disc changer and sd reader 

these are both VW branded so the button illumination is red rather than green 

a bolero is available but i am unsure if these are available with dab and from what i have read some from octavias are bigger at the top 

i'm sure someone will confirm this though 

im in the market for a bolero myself i was looking for a dab unit but decided for radio 4 its good enough on fm but would like the SD slot 

im in the market for a bolero myself i was looking for a dab unit but decided for radio 4 its good enough on fm but would like the SD slot 

You are right that FM is perfectly adequate for BBC Radio 4. In fact, due to the way the signal is encoded (128 kbit/s, MP2 and frequently mono rather than stereo!), DAB will almost certainly be worse than FM. DAB is much worse than FM in the case of BBC Radio 3. Strangely enough, Internet radio probably offers the best quality currently available in the UK.

The most significant reason to install a DAB radio in a car (or at home) used to be that the Government was planning to switch off most AM & FM broadcasts and move them onto DAB so that they could sell off the AM & FM frequencies. This was due to happen in 2015. However, it transpires that there are many households who still rely on AM & FM so the project has been pushed back, probably until 2020. Added to this, manufacturers were hoping to make a killing selling millions of shiny new radios at grossly inflated prices.  It does seem odd that car radios without DAB are even still available in this country.

If you do decide to buy a radio with DAB, make 100% certain that it will also work with DAB+ which is the way the world will actually go eventually.

Mine was plug and play really. I belive the last person enabled the internal blutooth already and the steering wheel controls worked straight away. So might need to code it on for it to work.

The mic wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The hardest part was getting the cable to appear at the bottom of the pillar. I did't break my interior light removing it to put the mic tho lol.

I sat all the excessive cable and the gps aerial behind the top glove box.

No idea on rear parking sensors showing up as mine were a dealer fit option and a little box beeps and flashes at me.

Hands free works well and automatically shows up on maxi dot which is cool.

Been using it loads this week. I think the unit is well made and the user interface is easy to use. Just need to figure out how to add speed cameras to my map now.

• Like 1