Cone filter question...

Hi guys

Thinking of whacking my old k&n cone filter I've had sitting around on the vrs tomorrow and was wondering if it will affect the car in terms of warning lights ect or wether it will just bolt on with no negative consequences.

Thanks

Main things to think about making sure the MAF is solidly secured as this can make it throw a wobbly, and heat. Without a heat shield I wouldn't even bother, you will lose power. Even with a heat shield it's debatable whether it's better than a panel filter in the airbox. I just run a panel filter with a definned bottom in the box and 80mm cold feed pipe. Works pretty well.

If you've got it lying around go for it, but get a heat shield. R-tech do a good one that looks well tailored to its position in the bay, they may sell them separately, be worth a try. Or get a cold feed pipe to route it down past the headlight.

That's cool. Thanks for the reply. I have an old heat shield as well as some piping so I might plumb in a bit of a cold air feed. I was just worried about the sensors freaking out at the different air mixture. I will have a play around and see how I get on. I'm giving the cone a good clean and oil so I'm sure it won't hurt.

The ecu will learn and you should feel a benefit. I'll stress again though make sure that maf is secure. Someone on here recently had problems which largely stemmed from that. Apparently the brackets with ramair cai are a bit ropey and can cause similar problems. If you can manage the heat the fixing is probably the main problem.