Reliability of Octavia 1.8 TSI 2009

Planning to buy an Octavia 1.8 TSI 2009 Petrol. Will appreciate info on reliability of this car for city driving; especially the air conditioning. Manual gearshift. This car has done 70,000 kms (about 43,500 miles). This is the first Skoda I might be driving and can't afford a lemon.  Not many Skodas on the road here. 

Best

Hussein Najee

Should be fine - good AC system if maintained and plenty of power.  The Skoda shares many common components with VW/Audi and is easy to service and maintain.  Need to make sure you change the oil regularly to avoid timing chain tensioner problems.

• Like 1

Need to make sure you change the oil regularly to avoid timing chain tensioner problems.

Timing chain tensioner failure is down to oil condition?!

It's a great engine OP, mines done around 45,000 miles now and hasn't missed a beat. 5,000 mile/six monthly oil changes though. :)

• Like 1

108,000 miles and going strong... cheap to buy as everyone seem scared to death of them 

Despite hundreds of thousands running fine

Enjoy

• Like 1

Timing chain tensioner failure is down to oil condition?!

It's a great engine OP, mines done around 45,000 miles now and hasn't missed a beat. 5,000 mile/six monthly oil changes though. :)

Well, I'm not a car techie but I did read the excellent pinned thread on this forum on 1.8 and 2.0Tsi engine failures and I refer Yeti-Man to posts numbers 227 and 240.  Might simply be an old wives tale but I read it here.  If true, your 6-monthly oil changes might work!

• Like 1