Superb 1.4 TSI engine vibration/rattle

Hi,

My 2011 Superb 1.4 TSI is 90,000km old and recently I noticed some issues with the vibration/rattle of the engine. I can clearly feel that when I put my foot on the clutch pedal (either depress or just put the foot on top of it) and depress the gas pedal up to a point when rev is about 1500rpm. The more rev, the more vibration/rattle I can feel. This doesn't happen all the time but most of the time, especially when the car has already warmed up (the vibration is quite unnoticeable at start up). There is also a bit of engine power loss and the engine seems not quite smooth as I accelerate more. It's hard to tell exactly but it's like the car doesn't want to obey when more gas is soaked into the chamber. I also noticed some exhaust smoke from the tailpipe when driving. This however happens all the time and the more I accelerate, the more smoke it emits. The smoke color is between gray and white (not really white but sometimes it's like water vapor and some other times like a bit whiter). Has anybody here experienced the similar issues? Thank you!

I'd imagine the white smoke out of the tail pipe is condensation from the exhaust system.

Petrol's do tend to emit more than diesels.

What are the ambient temperatures where you are on a morning?

• Like 1

What are the ambient temperatures where you are on a morning?

It's about 3 to 5 degrees. I noticed that not so many cars have the smoke like mine in the same weather conditions. It's not totally white but a bit gray like the water vapor. But what worries me more is the engine/pedal vibration/rattle. The car may be fine but I want to know what's causing it. Is it because of the small engine on a big car?

Timing chains can make a very loud rattle.

The higher power output versions of our 1.4TSI engine have a reputation for timing chain stretching, timing chain tensioner problems and piston breakage.

Do a Internet search for 'VW CAXC engine', you will find plenty of information.

Timing chains can make a very loud rattle.

The higher power output versions of our 1.4TSI engine have a reputation for timing chain stretching, timing chain tensioner problems and piston breakage.

Do a Internet search for 'VW CAXC engine', you will find plenty of information.

Do you know when (at what mileage) the timing chain should be replaced?

As far as I know there is no recommended date/mileage to change the timing chain, in my mind it should last the life of the car, and my main dealer knows of no advisory or recall. I wish they had designed it with a belt or a double row chain. I would replace the chain and tensioner when it got too loud for me to tolerate. A loose chain could skip a tooth and also break the tensioner, but we don't know if this is your problem, it could be something else.

It's most likely clutch related, if it has a DMF this will probably be the culprit, have a listen when it's cold near the gearbox and listen for metallic sounds or pebbles in a washing machine sort of sounds,

3 -5 degrees will produce a cloud totally normal, it's simply hot air meeting cold,

p.s don't spend out until you get some real ears to it.

Edited by Supurbia