A couple of questions

Hi all,

I've got a couple of questions I was hoping somebody might be able to help me out with.

1. How should the coolant temperature guage behave? After having some problems with it stopping moving, it seems to work again, only now I realise I don't actually know what normal behaviour is for it. It will be up around the 90 mark within 5-10 minutes of driving but it won't rise at all if I just leave the car idling. Also it will occasionally fluctuate ever so slightly (say 1 of the little bars on the guage) when going up and down hills. 

Having written this bit out it does look like a silly question, but it would be very reassuring to know that this is the norm, and there's nothing to worry about. 

2. When I bought it, the car came with a hands free kit installed, and from googling it appears to be a Nokia Cark-128. I don't have any use for it really, I own a nokia brick but not an old enough one. I was wondering if there'd be any way to convert it, either to accept other phones, or as an aux in line - seeing as it'll be connected to the car's speakers?

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by mattf

The temp gauge is not a true reflection of the coolant temperature, it should rise to 90 and stay there as long as the temperature is within normal range. Coolant Temperature Sensors can be an issue, but I couldn't say for sure whether it was the sensor or the thermostat.

Your temp shouldn't go above 90. If it starts to drop when you're off gas such as going downhill it points towards a sticky thermostat, which tricks the car into overcooling itself. If it then returns to 90 when back on the gas again that points to stat. If it's fluctuating more wildly it could be the sensor.

What I would say is get genuine parts, some use the Gates ones with some success but the gamble is up to you. Oem are more reliable. While you're doing the stat might as well chuck a new sensor in while you're in there, cover both bases.

If it's a TDI it's normal for it not to get up to 90c from cold start at idle, however once at 90c on a driving cycle it should stay there, if it doesn't the stat is probably stuck. Rapid gauge movement is usually the CTS failing. Check to see whether you have the old black type CTS or the later revised green CTS, if you have the black type I would advise you change it for a genuine green CTS as the black will fail sooner or later.

• Like 1