Passat 1.8t estate

samj2013

I'll copy the first couple of posts over from pistonheads so apologies if it's a little odd - yes I got rid of the Skoda on Saturday just gone (sorry), stayed VAG though!

Bought the Octy as a shed bargain a few months ago fancying something a bit bigger/faster than my Fabia, which was my first car, though I never managed to get over the fact that it wasn't an estate - I need something roomy/practical for mountain biking, and the hatch just wasn't cutting the mustard. Couple that with having a bad back, and the flat boot lip on the passat certainly helps.

Anyway, bit of an opportunistic buy this one - seeing family for easter weekend, happened to spot this on autotrader a few miles away from my Aunty's house where I stayed last night. Stopped in to have a look, decided I liked it and parted with my Octavia and £200 for it (listed on autotrader for £800). Perhaps not the bargain of the century, but considering I got the car I wanted for shed money and the ease of the situation, I'm happy.

The important bits - 1.8t engine, 150 brake and it certainly goes! Cam belt changed last year, 164k on the clock (not bad for a 16 year old car), full service history, mostly VW, and no funny noises etc. - all the mechanical credentials are there.

The not so good bits - some cosmetic/minor issues that can and will be dealt with -
rear wiper doesn't work
screenwash jets not working 
indicator glass missing on one side (this and screenwash are priority number 1)
keys are a bit tatty and need batteries changing
few bits of interior trim missing/need replacing (electric mirror knob, drivers window button etc.)
rear doors don't open from the outside, one doesn't open at all
headlights need a polish
needs a bit of a clean

All little niggly things that can be fixed easily enough. She goes well though - just drove her 80 miles to my mum's house and didn't skip a beat. Very happy.

3BF4D982-53F4-49ED-B8DE-85A24EE53A38.jpg

I'll stick some more photos up later if anyone cares. (I have photos of the fabia and octavia if anyone really really cares)

[footnote]Edited by samj2014 on Saturday 4th April 17:17[/footnote]
Edited by samj2013

Ordered a new screenwash pump last night, door mirror switch, indicator cluster. Will fit these during the week when they turn up.

First task - bit of a clean. The car had been valeted, but not very well. lifted up the back seats to find a crapload of muck, dog hair, and what I can only assume to be a puddle of dog ****.

Armed with a bucket, cloth, anti-bac spray and a hoover, it's now a lot better. Glad I won't have to look at that mess every time I have to put the seats down. Minging.

Before:

627FBD9B-B15F-4AA5-9E35-B8C41A18F869.jpg

After:

A4EB3FF6-6A61-4B5F-A33B-3AFAB8DD83D9.jpg

Couple of jobs done:

* front indicator cluster replaced

* polished headlights

Headlights still aren't perfect, but are much better than before, should hopefully have some decent light output now.

Before:

4FB2383F-50FB-4AA0-9445-E48F2F43A340.jpg

After:

CC8ED3E5-B9FC-47B2-9E8F-38E4DCDE6497.jpg

Bit of an improvement I think, they still look a bit yellow, but they're nowhere near as frosted.

2A81F4D6-53C3-46DC-93BD-25329B3BCCC1.jpg

In case anyone is vaguely interested, I just sorted the washer pump - had to bodge it a little as I ordered the wrong one, this one only has an outlet for the front jets, however since my rear wiper motor is dead too, I'm not overly bothered. I'll get around to sorting that some other time along with the right pump. At least it's not an MOT fail now.

Few more jobs left to to:

* Tighten or replace AC belt - it's started making some nasty noises when the AC is on

* Mirror switch (in the post)

* window switches (in the post)

* rear right door central locking actuator (in the post)

* rear left door doesn't open at all - need to look at this and work out what the problem is...

* new radio - the current one is temperamental

Ah well, I've gotten some of the important bits out of the way now.
Edited by samj2013

Start of non-copied posts!

Sorted the mirror switch today as the knob had been broken off, though it still doesn't work quite right - it won't adjust the driver's side on one axis, moves the passenger side as well. Bit weird but not a major issue. Half the reason I replaced it was just because it looked gash broken.

• 2 weeks later...