A very low mileage used octy mk1 vrs - good choice ?

Hello Octy owners,

posting after a very long time as i need a little help to decide on picking up a car.

i am getting an offer for a very low mileage - just 1200 miles run 2007 mk1 Octy vRS (Indian version - AUM) for a tempting price which is approx 25% of the originial cost of a new car in India.

On one hand it shows the car has not even run in & is as good as new.

but considering it is almost 8 years old & must have been standing at one place for a long time in between runs, what call should i take ?

also considering this situatiion if i will pick up this car, what all points are important to be checked for this car before picking it up ?

As this engine - trans & overall mechanicals are almost as good as new, i am in favour to pick this car as a good base for mods.

please help......

1200 miles is very low in 8 years, and as dubDEAN mentioned any rubber components/pipes could have perished in that time. It probably means you will need to do a fair bit of up front work for pipes/hoses/brakes/belts/pulleys as they may have seized and/or need replacing.

The other question is to whether the car has been serviced, if it never has been then the oil will be pretty old and will have broken down. Equally the fuel/lines and injectors may be a bit sorry for themselves. Also consider where the cars been parked? If its been parked in a garage for most of the time then this will reduce the amount of sun damage that the car will have sustained and would likely make the car a far better prospect.

Basically though, if your prepared to put in/and or risk a fair bit of up front work/maintenance then it could be worth a gamble and you may get an excellent as-new car out of it. Ultimately though it would be less hassle to buy a car thats been used more reguarly and with more miles on the clock... in my opinion anyway! :)

Edited by AndyPants

As said could be worth a punt but be prepared to shock a few things into submission when you start running it regular. Adding to the above I'd also be thinking about wheel bearings and moving parts that may become ceased or sticky, handbrake cable, calipers...You'll definitely need a cambelt, their lifespan is 5-6 years in a car that gets used. The difficulty is knowing where the car is at, it will give you more surprises than a daily user due to the lack of ongoing interaction with it. Tempting though I'm sure.

thats a fair amount for work for the Gamble.

as far as i know the car was kept parked in open garage for 4 years almost.

still not received any pics but from the info received i am now a bit scared to calculate the amount of work the car may demand as i want to add this to my current fleet of 1 mk1 vrs & 1 mk2 vRS. to be a daily drive.

seems its of no use to hower aroundd this deal.

not going for this car - deicided.

but that does give me a lot of knowledge about the octy & its various parameters.

thanks a lott guys.

vRS love....... Always...

No worries, must have been a pretty hard thing to say no to. At the end of the day cars need to be used, when standing for long periods you can open a can of worms. When I bought mine it appeared that it had been standing for a few months from the paperwork and the type of dirt ingrained on the paint, and I'm sure that's why for a lower than average mile car I've had to do a few things before you'd expect to have to.