1000 miles of love.

Maffu

Alas, a jolly down to Brighton for the day on Saturday saw the 1000 mile come up [currently @ 1250 ish] and I thought I'd write a little something about my thoughts and findings up for my first K with the vRS.

The day I went to pick it up, I was a little underwhelmed. It didn't look as cool as I remembered. I was sure it was sitting a little higher. Anyway, it was mine.

The drive home was delicate. Careful throttle application, braking, and cornering led to a dull ride home.

1000 miles later and I've fallen for the thing in a big way. Sure, it sounds like a very loud tractor, there's some form of lag ~1,800rpm, the steering wheel vibrates on idle, the headlights are weak, the seats get dirty quicker than I can waft down a pint of Guinness, the steering is heavy on initial turn and I've yet to hear an exhaust note...but...it's real world performance. The motor is a peach. It just pulls and pulls without complaint, quietly, and swifty, effortlessly. The gearbox is nicely ratio'd, providing good accleration at most speeds, and fantastic motorway cruising rpms. The brakes are good, despite lacking feel when the pedal is pressed further. The chassis handles; sticking to the road well, composed when in fast corners, eliminating enough body roll without taking out your fillings when going over sharp bumps. Seats are fab, car looks great, with a nice finish and feel.

The car is in need of a slight lowering. If a set of more interesting, complimentary wheels are found I could be tempted, but other than a slight upgrade to the stereo and other interior bits [it's VERY VAG isn't it!], and some better headlights I wouldn't want to change the characteristics of the engine in terms of it's effortless, smoothness when tuning [which I wouldn't until out of warrenty anyway!], but I've had it sitting at what I consider silly speeds happyily getting 45-48mpg whilst doing so, so I couldn't ask for anymore.

Obviously, once you get used to something, you'll always want quicker, but I wouldn't want to lose any of the engines endearing characteristics atm - swift, effortless, subtlety.

For what you pay, I think you get good value for money with the vRS. It's got the nod from all my mates so far, most owning far more exotic and powerful cars. I'm not regreting the decision of picking it over the others cars I looked at one bit.

Here's to many more happy miles.