1.2tap test drive -way to look for?

wonderbadger

Hi,

I've put a deposit down on a 12 plate 1.2 Yeti Urban subject to a successful test drive tomorrow. Can anyone give any suggestions of common faults or things to look out for? I've been reading through the forum but could just do with some guidance if there are particular issues. It's very low mileage for the year so hopefully shouldn't have any nasties lurking!

Thanks

Andy

Hi,

I've put a deposit down on a 12 plate 1.2 Yeti Urban subject to a successful test drive tomorrow. Can anyone give any suggestions of common faults or things to look out for? I've been reading through the forum but could just do with some guidance if there are particular issues. It's very low mileage for the year so hopefully shouldn't have any nasties lurking!

Thanks

Andy

I owned a 2012 diesel Urban for around 2 years (40K miles) and had issues with rust breaking through on the lower sections of the front doors. This was repainted under warranty. Covered here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/270263-paint-blisters-on-doors/

The finish on the Matterhorn alloys tend to become discoloured over time and I believe the black trim on the roof tends to crack.

I understand the earlier 1.2 TSi engines suffered with issues relating to noisy timing chains, but am unsure when this was resolved. Both my neighbours 2010 Fabia and my first (2009) Yeti suffered with this specific issue.

I found the sports seats in the Urban to be the best I'd experienced in any Yeti, especially in terms of both lateral and lumbar support.

The Amundsen+ integrates well with the car and I made much use of the DAB radio (test match special / 5 live sports extra etc).

The sat-nav is a little maligned on here, but I've used it extensively and found it works well (limitations accepted).

My thoughts from last year: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/324268-2012-yeti-urban/#entry3886377

DGW, sorry forgot to mention its manual, I love the idea of the DSG but the 7 speed doesn't seem to have the best reliability record especially with the synthetic oil issues.

Pinkpanther, thanks for your info, its good to hear that the seats are good as one of the reasons for wanting the Yeti is both of us having various back issues so anything comfortable and easy to get into on a day to day basis is good news - although that kinda goes out of the window with my weekend toy being an R1 powered kitcar  :notme:

The 1.2TSI chain-cam issues were concerning me which is one reason I've gone for a '12 model as from what I've read it looks like the majority of the fixes should already be in place at this age - I can't justify a diesel with all the DPF issues I would face given the low mileage and relatively short trips that I do.

Tha Amunsden+ unit does look to be reasonable and even though it might not be as flexible as my phone-based sat-nav I'll give it a chance - its a bonus to have it rather than a must-have so if I don't get along with it then nothing lost.

I would assume the paint issue could happen to any Yeti rather than just the Urban, I haven't spotted anything different on the doors that would cause premature corrosion unless I've missed something?

I recon your onto the right model for your commuter type driving and with a manual you should have many worry free and enjoyable miles........if the chain doesn't rattle when hot enjoy.

To me, the less expensive tech the better.