So I had my first breakdown.

Hello people! Thanks for all your replies.

Car has been running okay, although I did notice last night on my drive home it didn't get fully up to temp. This morning it had a little splutter and for about 3 seconds idled a bit high and came back down, then was okay (if a bit jumpy from cold). 

So, borrowed my mans VAG-COM/ VCDS again and sure enough... "17704 - Error in Mapped Cooling system (Check Temp Sensor and Thermostat) P1296 - 35-00". So I've cleared that and I'll be getting him to fit a new Thermostat and Temp sensor (I imagine its just the sensor but for the price of a thermostat I may as well get both replaced).

Take a look at the alternator cable for signs of over heating.

The day I bought it my mechanic told me to get that replaced as its a common issue, and now you've reminded me I will. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but I like to replace common faults before they leave me stranded! haha 

CTS I'd say, knew there was something fishy about it, sure I mentioned CTS lol. Vcds wins again, like you say may as well do stat as well. Get genuine ones if you can. Symptoms above do chime with cts for sure. Glad you're on the right track. Quite often it's mechanical nouse combined with technology that gets things sorted, rarely wholly one or the other with the way cars are today.

• Like 1

CTS I'd say, knew there was something fishy about it, sure I mentioned CTS lol. Vcds wins again, like you say may as well do stat as well. Get genuine ones if you can. Symptoms above do chime with cts for sure. Glad you're on the right track. Quite often it's mechanical nouse combined with technology that gets things sorted, rarely wholly one or the other with the way cars are today.

Always use Genuine myself! Buy cheap, buy twice and all that. Indeed, you cant go near most cars without a laptop handy. Annoying in some respects but useful in others! haha. Yeah I'm pretty sure it was mentioned straight away. Pretty sure the sensor I need is part number "059 919 501A" listed in the useful part numbers section here, something about a green connector on there too.

• Like 1

• Administrators

If you replaced the CTS (green) and you get the same error or it's not getting up to temp. Then you'll need a new thermostat, this is what ended up being wrong with mine wit the error code.

• Like 1