OIL CONFUSION!

scratchman

Just purchased a new Skoda Rapid Spaceback 1.4TSi SE Sport DSG Petrol in Corrida Red - delighted!

However, need some help on the question of engine oil: Skoda Customer Service tell me that the factory would have filled the engine with Quantum 5W-40 VW 502 00/ 505 00 fully synthetic oil. The Service Schedule indicates Q16 (Flexible Service Interval) in which case the correct grade of oil should be 5W-30 VW 504 00 / 507 00. So who's right - the factory or Skoda Customer Service - how do I find out?

I instructed the Skoda dealer to program the car for Fixed Interval Services, and the Maxi-dot display confirms that this has been done. Can't imagine they would have replaced the engine oil though.

I need to know for certain which oil to use for top-up purposes because, as I understand it, Fixed Service Interval grade oil should not be mixed with Flexible Service Interval grade oil.

Would appreciate any suggestions as to how I should clarify this issue.

Flexible servicing will have had 5w 30 VW 504 / 507

& Fixed can have 5w 40 VW 502 00

From the factory the VW 504,  if you are only topping up then use VW 502 (5w 40)  if you want.

But maybe just buy VW 504 and use that.

* Variable Servicing from the factory would need them to put in Long Life oil if it was going to go 19,000 miles 

possibly before a service.*

Once you do a Oil & Filter Service and do Annual Servicing 372 days / 9,600-10,000 miles you could use 5w 40, 

but are as well to use VW 504   5w 30 Long Life Full Synthetic.

It does not have to be Castrol Edge / Quantum.

If the Dealership is doing your Service ask what they are charging a Litre, £9 VW 502,  or £13 VW 504,   Some just all use VW 504.

Fixed or Variable.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Thanks goneoffSKi for your input - you appear to be saying that it is safe to mix VW 502 00 oil with VW 504 00 oil - if that's the case, no problemo. Might as well top up with the VW 504 00, i.e. the better oil, regardless.

• 4 weeks later...

It would be great if the dealers knew all this. My supplying dealer said my car was on fixed 10000 service, but my maintaining dealer pointed out the QI6 option code - so it's variable.

Seems strange to me that whether a fixed or variable service is used, why the engine oil has to be a different grade?

But, if you are unsure, use of the oil graded for variable service would be the one for you, as if the engine oil is changed before the due variable service date does not really matter.

Cost of the different grade oils would be minimal if any difference at all.

My old Fabia VRS is on a fixed service using (VW505.01 oil spec) because of the PD type engine, and do feel if I didn't change the oil exactly on 12months or 10,000 miles, the engine will blow-up..LOL

I had mine serviced recently, 1st service. I asked them to change the service to fixed as it was on the variable service ex factory setting. They told me whatever I selected regards service intervals they put the long life oil in as a matter of course. That's Rainsworth Skoda.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Seems strange to me that whether a fixed or variable service is used, why the engine oil has to be a different grade?

But, if you are unsure, use of the oil graded for variable service would be the one for you, as if the engine oil is changed before the due variable service date does not really matter.

Cost of the different grade oils would be minimal if any difference at all.

My old Fabia VRS is on a fixed service using (VW505.01 oil spec) because of the PD type engine, and do feel if I didn't change the oil exactly on 12months or 10,000 miles, the engine will blow-up..LOL

Mine is a Spaceback 1.6tdi, the oil for both the fixed and variable service is the same, according to the handbook!

Mine is a Spaceback 1.6tdi, the oil for both the fixed and variable service is the same, according to the handbook!

Diesel and petrol VAG oil standards differ.

Its Petrols that have the options of expensive oil and bloody expensive oil. :)

...and the reason is that the DPF fitted to modern TDIs requires very low ash content in the oil, which is only covered by 507.00 spec oil.

By the way, on Thursday I paid €72 for 4+1 Liters of original Skoda (made by Valvoline) oil.