K1 Short to Ground

AndyRG

Wondering if any one can help out..

my mate has an Audi S3 and asked me to give it a quick scan so I plugged it in and tried to run a scan to find out that it wouldn't read anything. I went in and tested the cable to find that it said K1 Short to ground.. I looked this up and the only thing I could find is that it can be after market stereo causing a short through the diagnostic wire..

so advice was to either remove the wire or take out the stereo.. so I removed the stereo and tried again but still get the same error.. the car has had some problems with the stereo due to previous owner removing the original stereo and messing up the wires, but my mate got his hands on another original stereo and has since managed to get it working..

the car has a Bose amp and sub factory fitted so I was wondering if this can be the cause, as they both seem to power up without the stereo fitted.

any help would be appreciated.

Something is applying 12V to the diagnostic K line, anything aftermarket is possible. The factory amp and stereo should not cause this error, unless the diagnostic wire has been incorrectly wired somewhere. Usual cause as you have found out is an aftermarket stereo where the K line is connected to something else by mistake.

yea I found another post saying the same and how to measure the plug to see if there a problem, so next stop will be a multi meter and some detective work to see what is causing the problem..