Clonk from Front Left Suspension/Steering

DaveWR

I wonder if any one experiences this?

To drive out of my garage, I reverse straight then, as I drive forwards, I turn full left lock and then straighten the steering wheel.  About half way between full left lock and straightening the wheel, the car produces a small audible 'clonk' from the front left suspension area [steering or suspension, I don't know].  It has happened since new [2500 miles ago], but was initially intermittent.  NOw it happens every time.  It also occurs pulling away without the full left lock, but it's less noticeable; I have not noticed it after applying right lock.. 

I took it to my dealer, but I could not re-produce it [sod's law!].

Any ideas?

it sounds like the sort of thing you get when a drive shaft gator is warn or a bearing issue?

but they should be reproducable.

is your drive/road combo on some funny angles?

Hi, the clonk only occurs once after the car has been standing for a while but then cannot be reproduced until it again stands for a while.  Seems to be independent of ambient temperature.  The driveway area is flat & tarmac.  Sounds like I need to take it back to my dealer, leave it standing for a bit and then demo the clonk.

I believe I've had similar. Took it to the dealer and it went away, came back and then stopped altogether. No help I'm afraid, but you're not the only one!

• 3 years later...

Has irritated me from day one. I took it to be a build fault. I think, having looked underneath it whilst changing the oil that the ARB sits very close to the rack and I am guessing that the two touch once the car has sat and settled but I am glad I am not the only one.

Could well be one of the various suspension bushes / rubber items settling overnight and then when you subject it to a large force (full lock) it shifts with an audible klonk. Can you drive the other way, i.e., full right lock? if so, does it do it then?