Rapid price cut

What's the game here?.  Clearing old stock ready for a Mark 3 or whatever?  Clearing stock before they pull it off the market?

Driving in UK and Spain with a very eagle-eyed passenger for the 690 days since I bought mine we have seen  14 Rapids and 14 Spacebacks.    This car must be a perfect example of a "crock of shirt"   or an Edsal  or a two ton lemon.

Is it selling at all well anywhere?    Maybe it is holding its value well in Kazackstan. May have to sell it over there.

No price cuts here yet, but I believe they are slashing the price of the old Euro 5 variant (as camelspyyder implied) in order to get rid of them.

It's not a big seller here either, but I think that as the Rapid is a newcomer in the segment, Skoda will not give up that easily.

What's the game here?. Clearing old stock ready for a Mark 3 or whatever? Clearing stock before they pull it off the market?

Driving in UK and Spain with a very eagle-eyed passenger for the 690 days since I bought mine we have seen 14 Rapids and 14 Spacebacks. This car must be a perfect example of a "crock of shirt" or an Edsal or a two ton lemon.

Is it selling at all well anywhere? Maybe it is holding its value well in Kazackstan. May have to sell it over there.

According to Skoda's own annual report for 2014, the Rapid was the second best selling model in the lineup globally, with 221,363 units sold. Skoda's biggest markets are China, Germany and Russia, so I'm guessing it's a big seller in at least two of those markets.

Skoda UK will of course be hoping that the price cut plus mid-life refresh will help sales. None of this will boost residuals for current owners though.

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/company/investors/annual-reports/

The price cut and updates are surely mutually exclusive.

I'd buy discounted old stock any day over the new model at a price premium.

Before buying the Toledo, I seriously considered pre-facelift Insignias at 13k (down from 21k RRP)

• 2 weeks later...

It might be a little expensive.  The top spec 2016 Toledo is already over 19k with a few options. Who's going to want a Rapid VRS at over 20,000?

It depends what engine/options it had on offer as standard! Audi S3 Saloon is very tasty, maybe it could look something like that :p

Edited by Matt17121991

Maybe a Rapid version of the "original" Fabia vrs concept - a larger and more powerful diesel engined vehicle with some significant upgrades to stock chassis/suspension/brakes?........ A smaller version of the Octavia vrs diesel, with similar running gear?

2.0 TDI CR + 6-speed manual?

Personally I think both the Spaceback and Hatchback shapes lend themselves well to a lowered sporty look (Agree with Matt above... S-style)

I agree residuals could be hit, although 40-41% after 3 years is the figure most often quoted for Rapid/Toledo and that's fairly average.

However residuals are really an issue only if you paid too much in the first place.  There are people on here (not me sadly) who picked up pre-reg good-spec cars for 11k so their 3 year residual (or 2.75 year if you like) is bang on 60% :)

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I bought my Spaceback SE TSI 105 last year the RRP was £16,180. Since then the Elegance has been dropped and replaced by the SE in the new guise of the SE Sport, which has gained as standard spec the Sportpack with glass roof, climate, nav, DAB and start stop all for £16,550 (MY16).

An SE back then with all these options would have been around 20K, so a noticeable and well needed UK price drop. As stated above though, it's not good news for those like me who have older and lower spec'd models come trade in time.

TP

Edited by The Plumber

• 2 weeks later...