1.8t 4x4 rat look

Really interested in passing on my vrs estate to the other half and getting a 1.8t 4x4 to tune to around 250bhp and leave the body un cared for. The ultimate sleeper car. How much would it cost to get this kind of power. Also what kinda milage would i be lookin at to provide a good starting point?

• Like 1

250bhp will need a turbo upgrade. You can get 235-240 out of a K03S with Stage2 map (+ minimum FMIC, Sport Cat full exhaust). Car is around 100 kilos heavier than a Vrs.

You should fit vrs front brakes minimum, better with vrs rear (both larger diameter). Then it will go and stop but won't handle great. 4x4 floorpan different so rear suspension parts will be different and single cat FWD exhaust will not fit.

The 'box is a weak point and with that power, will destroy itself sooner or later. Fitting Golf VR6 clutch and G60 flywheel would be beneficial.

Blue Haldex worth trying to track down as it engages the 4WD on accelleration, not just slip.

Assuming you can find the minmum parts you want second hand, you are probably looking at around grand without handling mods.

Snow_Muncher is the authority on these, no doubt he will be along soon.

• Like 2

So do you think the 1.8t 4x4 would be a good choice or better to start with just a vrs and de modifie the body?

So do you think the 1.8t 4x4 would be a good choice or better to start with just a vrs and de modifie the body

The 4x4 was never a performance car. It can be made into one but it will cost ALOT of time and money, obviously less with second hand parts, fitted yourself. A Vrs will be more upto the job out the box and with a stage 1 map will see 210bhp, without the extra weight. Launching the 4x4 off the line will be fun, but sooner or later the standard drivetrain will protest, noisily....

This was my old ride with vrs bumper fitted and Audi TT 16's

DSC07411-1.jpg

and the more stealthy rear end on winter wheels :)

silverbackrhs.jpg

Edited by modra_vrs
  • Like 1

To be honest the vrs isn't exactly 'in your face', a lot of people don't really know what they are. That's what I like about them, in standard guise they're modestly badged. It's only really the spoiler and front bumper that sets it apart and they're pretty modest. Why not get a vrs and a boot lid without spoiler and maybe do something with the front bumper?

If you get a vrs to 250bhp that will be enough to surprise plenty of people and as suggested is probably a more flexible base for tuning than the 4x4.

Snow_Muncher is the authority mug on these, no doubt he will be along soon.

by the time you've spent anything approaching whats needed to make one of these a useful 4x4 (£5K-£10K) you could have bought an S4/similar

Only tune one if you love it

At the level of tuning I'm currently at, wouldn't have cost much different starting with a more common EVO or Subaru though, but you don't have anywhere near the same range of parts and services - does make life more difficult

Edited by snow_muncher

Yeah your right. How many miles is too high to start modifiying?

Not sure there is really an answer to that, mines on around 70k and I've had problems with things and I'm sure this because of a history of light use. So I would say it's car dependent more than mileage, be a bit of a judgement call. Any car is only ever as good as the last mile it completed whatever the age/mileage.