In Car Entertainment upgrade

I purchased an 06 vrs from a forum member yesterday and am totally overjoyed with it. However, it has the original symphony cd unit in and I would like the ability to stream music from my phone, access digital radio and possibly make hands few calls.

Is there any option out there that would allow me to use my current phone galaxy note 4 and the existing head unit?

Thanks in advance.

Nik

Your best bet would be an after-market head unit. The functionality of the standard one is mediocre by today's standards and at best you can do is wire up an aux in but you will have no control as far as skipping and searching tracks go. Then for hands free call functionality you would require something separate like a parrot hands free kit. 

It's far simpler to buy a head unit that does everything and they aren't as expensive as you'd think. 

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/cd-players/kenwood-kdc-bt44u-bluetooth is a good example which can do everything you require without breaking the bank. 

• Like 1

I went with this one, because I wasn't really into bluetooth functions or call handling, but there is a different model, price is just a little bit higher. I'm using it with an iPhone 4S and it is briliant, navigation software, appradio and the other utilities are awsome. I think you can find an adaptor for android devices which should support display mirroring. Watching youtube videos and having in dash navigation software worth each penny. It also supports a reverse camera connection and AV input.

• 1 month later...

Sorry forgot to reply to this.

This is one I got, it's brilliant been in a while now.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121497050685&alt=web

Wow that looks unreal for the money, can i ask a few questions..... i gather you had not issue connecting your phone, when you make a call can you simply press a button the unit and say the name of the person you want to call and off the unit goes and calls the number ? Is the sound quality from the FM radio and cd playback better through the Skoda speakers than the original unit (due to the higher output amp). Did you have any issues with fitting the unit, i.e anything any of use should know ?

I just purchased this to replace the standard head unit

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-radios-car-stereos/alpine-ute-72bt-car-stereo-with-bluetooth-and-ipod

For £69 it's really good value, the built in bluetooth (voice and music streaming) works really well and you can connect an iPod and Aux too.

Only downside is it doesn't have a CD player and you need to buy a signal booster for the radio to work (under a tenner)

Wow that looks unreal for the money, can i ask a few questions..... i gather you had not issue connecting your phone, when you make a call can you simply press a button the unit and say the name of the person you want to call and off the unit goes and calls the number ? Is the sound quality from the FM radio and cd playback better through the Skoda speakers than the original unit (due to the higher output amp). Did you have any issues with fitting the unit, i.e anything any of use should know ?

Yes you've got it in one, radio quality is good and yes it's slightly better due to ampage, it's been a great reliable unit and easy to use it does everything really, connected up to my Samsung Galaxy smartphone no problem.

Plus with you get all sorts of apps, I have torque so digital guages code reader etc etc.

It took very little effort to fit.