Oil change advice needed for new car

I have a 1.4 DSG Elegance which was bought last December and has done 6,000 miles so far. When should the oil be changed?

The garage told me the original oil would last until its 10,000-mile service - does this sounds about right? it seems a long interval for a new car to me.

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before - I looked, but I'm a noob on this fourum and may have missed the obvious.

Depends if you are on fixed or variable service intervals. If fixed around 10,000 miles if variable 20,000 miles. Your Maxidot should inform you as to how many miles/ days till service.

Thanks Kenny - another really silly question - how do I know whether it's fixed or variable? I did read the manual and am none the wiser. The garage seemed a bit vague as well.

MikeF, info on how to tell is inside the service book. You need to see the sticker with lots of two digit codes, inside front cover I think. It tells you what to look for in the following pages or two. I'm away from the car at the mo otherwise I'd put up a picture.

• Like 1

I would go gor the oil change (properly done from the oil pan, no suction, please).

Being an old school I keep thinking that in the first period some residual partcles will be around and I would like to get rid of it.

Mine has around the same miles on the clock and I am going for the change.

MikeF, info on how to tell is inside the service book. You need to see the sticker with lots of two digit codes, inside front cover I think. It tells you what to look for in the following pages or two. I'm away from the car at the mo otherwise I'd put up a picture.

Thanks, I keep trying to get round to reading everything but I'm not even a week in yet, I'll take a look I later on.