Advice on some good tyres

Hi all,

About 7 months ago i got some uniroyals and to be fair they have worn down alot too quickly but thats what you get when you get cheap, so now it’s time for a new fresh set of rubbers before i trek off to Europe on my little tour.

Could people recommend the best brand and what their experience is with tyres i mean any suggestions or opinions would be happily accepted

Edited by MaZvRSTSI

The Vredstein Ultrac Sessanta is supposed to be excellent and is really good value for money - it's what I'll probably be putting on my VRS when the current ones need replacing.

I've got Michelin Pilot Sport 3s on the front of mine, which are very high quality tyres although they do struggle with traction if its anything but bone dry. I've got the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT on the rears - cant comment much apart from that they seem quiet. They're 4th in the Auto Express top tyre ratings (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/66049/uk-top-tyres-rated) although looking at the invoices the previous owner put 4 on the car and had the fronts replaced a few months later - so I dont know if they wear too well!

The Conti Sport contact 5 is worth a look - I had run my previous car on the SC2 and it was a superb tyre but again didnt last brilliantly long.

Unfortunately grip, traction, wet braking etc dont go hand in hand with longevity - you'll find cheap nasty chinese rubber that's pretty much solid plastic will last a lifetime, but will be terrible to drive on!

Toyo Proxes are good, last well and grip like mad... but in all honest if you arent doing track days and driving like a **** in the wet just go for nankang NSII or something similar

Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 XL.

I had these on my 330d & 335d, both remapped M Sports and the coped extremely well with the power. Didn't wear too much and provided tons of grip in the dry and wet.

I've just put a new set on my FL VRS :)

I'd normally go for the Eagles or something similar but for the last few years I've been getting Barum Bravuris from national on their 2-4-1 deal and found them to be as good as anything else I've tried, they've not stepped out of place once. Appear to last about as long as the PS3's and Continentals I had on there previously as well. Bit noisy, but that's the only downside I can find and I'm willing to accept that when they're £110 for a fitted PAIR! Anyway, there's a volume knob on the stereo for a reason. :)

I'm never sure when tyre fitters say "such and such cheap brand is actually manufactured by such and such expensive brand".... Seems like a crappy sales technique and I've never found any evidence to support it. Afaik the uniroyals are pretty decent tyres but I've never heard that they're manufactured by conti

I'm never sure when tyre fitters say "such and such cheap brand is actually manufactured by such and such expensive brand".... Seems like a crappy sales technique and I've never found any evidence to support it. Afaik the uniroyals are pretty decent tyres but I've never heard that they're manufactured by conti

Here you go

http://www.which.co.uk/cars/driving/car-tyres/best-car-tyre-brands/continental/

• Like 2

I'm on my third set of Barum Bravuris and they wear  and grip as well as the premium brands for my purposes. They have built in rim protection as well. I  order on line from National Tyres to get a bit of discount.

So I've had a disaster with tyres today - after a wheel refurb my 2 rear tyres weren't holding air at all. My usual tyre place whipped them off and cleaned up the rims, found a puncture in one and pointed out that the previous owner had a temporary repair on the other. Paid £30 for that and figured I'll replace them in a week or 2. Went to wash the car and found they were still hissing when they were wet... So took it back and had them replaced with Bridgestone Potenza S001s and rotated to the front - would have preferred more choice but it was the best they had in stock and needed them today.

Haven't driven it much but it feels much more planted at the front - will see how these go once they've bedded in

I had some Barum Bravuris on my Mk1 that came with the car.

I was driving through Belgium last year when I hit a small ridge on the motorway. The outside temperature was around 34 degrees outside but both tyres developed a large bulge in the side wall rendering them useless.

I will never ever buy cheap tyres and I hate buying cars that have them on.

They are the only thing keeping you shiny side up!