CTHE Remap FINALLY

Not APR, REVO, SHARK Performance or any other remapper has shown a Dyno of a CTHE Before and After.

People have asked, the Tuners have said they have done cars, including Shark Performance, 

yet none will show the Dyno Results.

(There is a Dyno Sheet posted in a thread though from the person that had a CTHE done to Stage 1 at Eco-Tune)

this is a problem I have with all the "we can remap CTHE's" ... I have yet to see the proof. Its not good saying a map can give 200bhp if its on a car that already has 198bhp.... there are bigger differences on consecutive runs on a RR....

Also every rolling road is different. So if urs is high standard bhp, ur gains maybe be higher

Yes I agree. I don't have a great deal of faith in DYNO machines. Depends very much on the calibration & the person 'driving' it. The proof of the pudding as they say ..... and all that.

I can understand your concern about tuning boxes & lean mixture. That could well account for the improvement in MPG I see when running a tuning box. However after nearly 18 months of so doing my engine hasn't (apparently) come to any harm. I check the plugs every few thousand miles & they seem OK.

Of course whenever you run an engine outside its design parameters the risk of failure rises exponentially, & that must be true for a remap as well as a tuning box.

I'm just about to undertake my longest continuous journey in the vRS to Southern Spain, which should be a good test of the engine condition. Must remember to load Skoda Assist European number into my phone, but hope I wont need it!!.

• Like 1

Yes I agree. I don't have a great deal of faith in DYNO machines. Depends very much on the calibration & the person 'driving' it. The proof of the pudding as they say ..... and all that.

I can understand your concern about tuning boxes & lean mixture. That could well account for the improvement in MPG I see when running a tuning box. However after nearly 18 months of so doing my engine hasn't (apparently) come to any harm. I check the plugs every few thousand miles & they seem OK.

Of course whenever you run an engine outside its design parameters the risk of failure rises exponentially, & that must be true for a remap as well as a tuning box.

I'm just about to undertake my longest continuous journey in the vRS to Southern Spain, which should be a good test of the engine condition. Must remember to load Skoda Assist European number into my phone, but hope I wont need it!!.

Yes i partly agree. Tuning boxes from what I've seen run lean at the top end of the rev range. Which is prob why normal driving should be OK. It would b giving it some beans would frighten me as there is no knock control. Ie add fuel when lean or too warm as fuel will cool the plugs if running lean. Just my opinion

Out of curiosity I contacted my tuner (TMG Greece) and asked him what's the story with CTHE engines. Says they've been mapping them fine since earlier this year. Sent me a couple of shots from a CTHE Cupra that was there a while ago. 187bhp as stock going to 222 with upgraded intercooler and exhaust:

Says they can be mapped via OBD as well (jealous!!) although this might not make much sense in a UK forum. I also had to go down the road of sending him my ECU via post as I'm now based a few thousand km's away and tunred out just fine, although not being on the dyno meant we went a bit lower than expected.

post-76656-0-43015900-1446067234_thumb.jpg

post-76656-0-02025100-1446067257_thumb.jpg

I have no idea. Vw and seat cthe can b done thru obd Skoda vrs cthe can not

Don't know about the CTHE vRS particularities with the OBD but as I said since the company is based in Greece this isn't of much importance as I don't think many would travel there for a remap.

The ECU removal and shipment is always an option for those wanting to have a remap right now and actually my post was rather addressed to Sharkrider asking for before/after runs on CTHE so I just provided one.

What's more interesting, from the looks of it, it seems that end results are the same as CAVE engines, 210-215 for a Stage 1 and ~222 for Stage 2 so any starting difference between CAVE and CTHE is lost after maps, hence less bhp per buck if you like.

• Like 1

From 2009-2012 there are 3 Different Externally looking ECU's fitted to 1.4 TSI / TFSI Twinchargers 132-136 kW (180-185ps) then also to the 1.4 TSI 150 ps Twincharger in a Seat Ibiza FR.

Then late 2012 there is a ECU used on the First Released CTHE Externally and internally different.

Then early 2013 a 'New Seat Ibiza Cupra CTHE with a ECU Externally like the one on the Skoda, 

then after that later in 2013, yet another Externally and Different look / appearance ECU is fitted.

Through out the 2009-2012, 2012-2013, 2013 on there are different Engine Managements on the Different ECU's.

Then you have what ECU's, Maps, Management are on Polo GTI & Audi A1 195ps.

So best ask about what model, what year, what ECU & what MAP /Engine Management your car left the factory with,

because you have a few to choose from.

Then some cars had Engines Replaced, then the ECU that was fitted was Updated,

some needed a new ECU sent from VW, so that it could be running the latest Software to suit that engines management requirements.

What someone else has and has done hardly matters, what is on your car is rather more to the point.

What someone else has and has done hardly matters, what is on your car is rather more to the point.

Agreed. Anyone with a VCDS cable can get the precise ECU version / model no. of his car and then forward it to the tuning company in order to have a definite reply on whether they can map it or not. That's what APR recommended a while ago and that's what I would do anyway if the tuner was based anywhere further than two blocks away from where I lived.

And people including members here have gone to a APR Dealer in the UK,  'And the computer said no'.

so APR@Evan & others in that Global Company can maybe clear things up,  

APR & REVO still continue to advertise 'VIA OBD' 2013 on 1.4 TSI 132 kw Stage 1.

• 3 weeks later...

thats cool, proof its being done..... BUT The latest CTHE RR run I saw gave 198bhp..... I have seen about 4-5 RR runs of different CTHE cars giving 195-201 bhp........ (standard) .....

IF they did before and after and showed the 20 bhp increase, brilliant , we have a winner :) (even if it was Toms 198 bhp car, that showed 180bhp on their rollers then 200, its a winner)

edit : the area under the graph looks quite good too... better than the 20 bhp increse may suggest... means it might feel even better on the road....

Edited by sharkrider

thats cool, proof its being done..... BUT The latest CTHE RR run I saw gave 198bhp..... I have seen about 4-5 RR runs of different CTHE cars giving 195-201 bhp........ (standard) .....

IF they did before and after and showed the 20 bhp increase, brilliant , we have a winner :) (even if it was Toms 198 bhp car, that showed 180bhp on their rollers then 200, its a winner)

edit : the area under the graph looks quite good too... better than the 20 bhp increse may suggest... means it might feel even better on the road....

Mines went from 185-205bhp so yeah it was a 20bhp increase. But the way it drives was a big difference. Even the way it starts is so much better. I was disappointed in the numbers as I was expecting more but I was very happy about the way the car feels.

• Like 1

It would be good if anyone that knows somebody with a Mapped to Stage 1 or Stage 2 CTHE or that speaks to someone to encourage them to join the Biggest Skoda Forum in the world and share their experiences.

They seem to be a very shy breed.

we can always slag it out at santa pod again ! lol..... sadly I think mine is a lowley 178 bhp lol....

• Like 2