Fabia vrs front disc shield

Hi all,

I have just been looking at the front pads and have noticed the cover/shield next to the disc has corroded very heavily and literally fallen off in my hand. Has anyone else had this problem?

The brakes work fine, I am just concerned as to why the shield would corrode so badly. I have checked the other side and that is intact fine.

Any help appreciated have attached a picture below

Thanks

David

It's just a pretty thin, relatively flimsy piece of ferrous metal mate that has a very thin coat of paint on it from new. In the environment where it lives it is unavoidable that it will take some hammer and corrode heavily over time.

Absolutely nothing to worry about, albeit a bit annoying that it is added expense to replace. I recently replaced my rear ones, think they were about £8 each from TPS.

sent from my Galaxy Note 4

I've read mixed reviews on other car forums regarding missing shields being an MOT failure. It almost seems like it could be down to the testers discretion which doesn't seem right?

We might need someone else's experience here.

In terms of their purpose they arguably provide some protection to your brake disc from crud and water off the road and also provide some protection in terms of stopping brake dust migrating on to other components (I.e suspension) and eating away at it. Some cars use the shields for mounting brackets for brake hoses I believe. I totally accept someone rubbishing this though as it is highly based on my thoughts! Lol

sent from my Galaxy Note 4