service times

hi how often should i be changing oil and plugs? ive had my vrs 8 months now and put 6000 miles on it,500 miles ago i changed the oil and oil filter,when i bought it it had just had a full service( oil,oil filter,plugs and air filter) ive seen somwhere betweem 6k &10k is ideal for oil changes but what about plugs? it has iridium (think thats what theyre called) plugs in it.any help would be welcome. car has done 120k 54 reg.

cheers

*Edited out for sale. Please join freedom to post adverts*

Edited by chris_1d

I belt and braces - oil, filters, plugs every 10k. You NEED to do oil at least every 10k if not more frequently, these engines need clean oil so it's important to keep the servicing up.

My local garage only do plugs every other service but I switch them out each time anyway!

On my mk1 I change the oil and filter every 5000 as well, just to make sure it's running nice clean oil! The plugs you have a long life plugs so every 2 years is fine but it doesn't hurt at all to take them out, clean them and re gap them!

It's what I do!

Forgot to say of course the plugs depend on your mileage! Any decent garage / mechanic would remove the plugs, clean, check and re gap!

When I worked at Renualt we would only change long life on a 2 year major service!

Depends which plugs you're using. If you're using cheap copper plugs I'd replace them every 10k. I think the NGK platinums are the recommended plugs for these and the interval is much higher, possibly even up to 60k. I changed a set of platinums in my car after 20-30k (would have to double check) and they were still in good condition and I didn't notice any difference after replacement. If it has iridiums in there then they should be good for 30k+ miles.

I also change my oil every 10k with 5W-30 504/507 spec. Bought my car on 73k and it's now on 130k - engine seems to be just as good if not better than when I got it. I don't see the point in changing it any more frequently than that with what I use the car for. If you do lots of short journeys or take the car on track then it's a good idea to change the oil more regularly.