Noise from Pistons at startup

It's just on startup when the engine has stood for a couple of hours or overnight. Definitely from the top half of the engine I think it's more pistons than tapets, it's only for a moment or two on my 1.2 sel. Plenty of oil in the sump surely modern oiles should cling to tapets and cylinder bores maybe I should go back to good old Duckhams 20/40

By the way how do they get the oil down that little tube. Could not find an emoticon for a little teasing Joe

Edited by JoePeddos

The Oil Pump gets the oil up top quick enough as the engine turns over and fires.

The noise is the noise that these engines make unless you have a fault which is unlikely.

Where are you going to get a Piston Noise before one gets to having Piston Slap with Ring / Scrapper & Piston Bore wear.

They are sliding up and down a bit tight now, and the factory oil has them even tighter and after the first oil 

change and the engine has a few thousand miles under it, it will be less tight and the fuel economy will also improve.

By then you will be used to the start up noise.

The Oil Pump gets the oil up top quick enough as the engine turns over and fires.

The noise is the noise that these engines make unless you have a fault which is unlikely.

Where are you going to get a Piston Noise before one gets to having Piston Slap with Ring / Scrapper & Piston Bore wear.

They are sliding up and down a bit tight now, and the factory oil has them even tighter and after the first oil 

change and the engine has a few thousand miles under it, it will be less tight and the fuel economy will also improve.

By then you will be used to the start up noise.

Thanks goneoffSKI the engine does not feel as tight as it first did and since it's only done 1200 miles and I expect to do 8k this year . I have been getting about 40 mpg and 50 on a longer run any advance on that and I will be a very happy pumpkin Joe

Hi Fabiamk2SE I have read I think on the Seat forums, the Leon uses the same engine that it is the hydralic Tappets making this noise on start up,must admit doesn't sound good,after a few seconds everything sounds sweet,Also think the latest 1.2 uses a belt and not a chain.

• Like 1

Hi Fabiamk2SE I have read I think on the Seat forums, the Leon uses the same engine that it is the hydralic Tappets making this noise on start up,must admit doesn't sound good,after a few seconds everything sounds sweet,Also think the latest 1.2 uses a belt and not a chain.

Hi Robsteve  Found this on Wikipedia about hydrolic valves sounds exactly what I am hearing Joe

DisadvantagesThere are a number of potential problems with hydraulic lifters. Frequently, the valvetrain will rattle loudly on startup due to oil draining from the lifters when the vehicle is parked. This is not considered significant provided the noise disappears within a couple of minutes, typically it usually lasts only a second or two.   

Hi Robsteve Found this on Wikipedia about hydrolic valves sounds exactly what I am hearing Joe DisadvantagesThere are a number of potential problems with hydraulic lifters. Frequently, the valvetrain will rattle loudly on startup due to oil draining from the lifters when the vehicle is parked. This is not considered significant provided the noise disappears within a couple of minutes, typically it usually lasts only a second or two.

If it was something to be concerned about then Volkswagen would be most concerned since they have built tens of thousands of these engines

and they all operate the same way.

They will have failures of components,

but for once if a Technician or salesperson says, they all do that, they will be telling the truth.

They are internal combustion engines, not electric, they need to make some noises on start up and when running.

It is the hydraulic valve lifters (tappets) which will make a ticking noise at start up if engine has beeen stopped over night or so. The engine oil will slowly leak from the lifters and give extra clearance and thereby noise. But they are there for a reason, there will be zero clearance and no need for periodical checking and manual adjustments.