Chunk's Biker Journey from nothing to full bike license

Chunk11

Okay had a really good day today. Started off going through the basics again like I did on my taster hour.

I am glad I did the taster hour as it was myself and another 20 year old lad who was really into his off road biking so he has gears, clutch control and everything else already pretty much perfect.

Went through all the mod 1 bits in the morning which I was fine with then moved onto the road and mod 2 stuff in the afternoon.

It felt good to be out on the road although I had that strange feeling which I haven't had for 13 years in that my head felt like I was trying to do a million things at one i.e change gear, check mirrors, shoulder checks, indicate, road position.

I just tried to relax and the instructor seemed happy with how I did considering it was only the second time I had sat on a bike.

I had a good chat with him in the end as half way through the road riding he asked me if I wanted to go on an ER-6 500cc bike which I declined as I said I was happy on the 125cc for now.

Now back at home having a beer part of me wishes I had just given it a go but nevermind there will be next time.

Theory test is now booked for September 23 and a couple of iPhone apps downloaded to help with mock tests, although I am considering ordering the proper CD's.

At times I found the 125cc hard going with the power as we mainly did 40/50mph roads around Rawtenstall and Blackburn (just north of Manchester) and I was having to go through all the gears and then back down again when we came to a set of traffic lights.

The instructor said I would probably have found it easier on the bigger bike although he understood for confidence reasons why I didn't want to do it so soon.

Having had a good chat with him afterwards he really pointed me towards direct access so I think this is what I am going to do.

I know this is a bit of a u turn from what I have said previously but being pleased with my progress from 1 hour and 1 day I feel with a 6/7 day direct access course I should be more than capable of passing the test.

Just need to find a money tree with £670 for my direct access!

• Like 1

I had a good chat with him in the end as half way through the road riding he asked me if I wanted to go on an ER-6 500cc bike which I declined as I said I was happy on the 125cc for now.

ER-6 is 650cc (well, 649, to be exact), hence the name. Very popular with riding schools for direct access training.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Direct access would make more sense in thr long run, just aslong as youre sensible with your choice of bike and knowing your ability afterwards. Which it does sound likd you would be.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Direct access would make more sense in thr long run, just aslong as youre sensible with your choice of bike and knowing your ability afterwards. Which it does sound likd you would be.

Unless you're a millionaire, as a newbie the insurance companies will keep your choice of bike sensible.

Unless you're a millionaire, as a newbie the insurance companies will keep your choice of bike sensible.

Compared to a car mate, insurance is very reasonable.

When i first did my test (nearly 6 years ago now mind) insuring the sv650 was about £400 fully comp, and insuring a polo 1.2 was roughly £2500.

ER-6 is 650cc (well, 649, to be exact), hence the name. Very popular with riding schools for direct access training.

Doh! Showing my lack of bike knowledge already.

I can see why it's addictive! My only problem is my funding for direct access, kit, a bike and insurance.

Because most of the money I earn goes out again in direct debits 2 days later I haven't been able to save any money up for this so the updates will probably be a bit more slow and steady from now on.

Bikes like 600 Bandits, Hornets, Fazers etc that are ideal for a new rider can be picked up very cheaply, with plenty to choose from, so no need to buy a rough one. Or indeed early ER6s - Kawasaki had to knock several hundred quid off list price of the ER6 after Yamaha launched the cheaper and better MT-07,which inevitably has reduced the values of used ones too.

It felt good to be out on the road although I had that strange feeling which I haven't had for 13 years in that my head felt like I was trying to do a million things at one i.e change gear, check mirrors, shoulder checks, indicate, road position.

I was in a similar situation with thinking about so many things, although the road positioning & lifesavers came 2nd nature to me, with the amount of miles I cycle every year on the roads.  It doesn't take too long once you have a set of wheels for the gear changes/braking distances/road awareness/hazard perception to sink in and become natural.

Good look with the theory stuff, I found the theory test to be mainly common sense, if I hadn't cycled as much as I do, I think I would have struggled with the hazard perception, its not just about spotting potential hazards (ie.. car/people/bikes pulling out in front of you) its also spotting things like, safe following distances (of you on the bike), speed (although you don't have a speedometer to look at you can still tell if you are travelling too fast for the environment).

The best advise I can give for preparing for the hazard perception is, when you are driving along, pretend you are on your motorbike & very vunerable, I talk to myself spotting speed limit signs/warning signs/road signs/what is going on around me etc etc (similar to the IAM courses I attended)

Good work on passing ! It's great to read of new riders coming into the fold.

I wouldn't worry about getting onto bigger bikes too soon - ran my 125 for a good 9 month after passing my test and went all over the UK. Loved every minute of it.

Experience is experience regardless of what you're riding.

• Like 1

Okay bought all my kit to start out with and again another change of plan!

All being well (loan money going in) I will be purchasing DarkPeakCycles Yamaha Ybr on Wednesday so it will be my first bike (albeit a 125cc)

Plan is to ride around on that for 6-9 months whilst saving up for direct access and also a 600cc bike for when I pass.

I don't want to be in a situation whereby I can just afford to do my direct access and pass then have no money for a half decent bike.

I have already been looking at Yamaha R6's, Suzuki GSXR and Kawasaki ZX-6R.

Okay bought all my kit to start out with and again another change of plan!

All being well (loan money going in) I will be purchasing DarkPeakCycles Yamaha Ybr on Wednesday so it will be my first bike (albeit a 125cc)

Plan is to ride around on that for 6-9 months whilst saving up for direct access and also a 600cc bike for when I pass.

I don't want to be in a situation whereby I can just afford to do my direct access and pass then have no money for a half decent bike.

Sounds good!

R6's, gsxr's, zx6r's wont make the best first bike though.

A mate of mine got an R6 as soon as he passed, he got rid of it two weeks later. He couldnt cope with how snatchy, and 'fiesty' it was he said.

These are bikes that are made to race around a track though. Not pootle around town.

• Like 1

Get yourself out and about on the 125 and enjoy it. Try not to keep thinking about bigger bikes just ride as much as you can, get some good long trips under your belt.

You'll know when you're ready to step up by which time you'll know what type of bike you want next.

Enjoy it fella !

All of those would be a terrible choice for a first post 125 bike, particularly the R6.

Okay sounds like I am looking at the wrong type of bikes! Ha ha

Please recommend me some good bikes to keep my interest up and it also means I can mess about on autotrader instead of chatting to the Mrs...