Chunk's Biker Journey from nothing to full bike license

Chunk11

Or restrictions..

Yup, none of that rubbish. Pass test, then ride whatever you can afford to insure. My old mate and ex riding partner in crime passed his test after they'd introduced the 2 year post test 33bhp restricted period, but he just ignored it and bought a new Bandit, he never got found out, lol.

Yup, none of that rubbish. Pass test, then ride whatever you can afford to insure. My old mate and ex riding partner in crime passed his test after they'd introduced the 2 year post test 33bhp restricted period, but he just ignored it and bought a new Bandit, he never got found out, lol.

Yeah i was on 33bhp for 2 years. Then automatically derestricted.

The problem is, if you ride without and have a smash or get pulled by a stubborn cop and foud out. Insurance is invalid and youre riding in otherwise accordance to your licence.

So not really worth it

There's no way you'd get found out by being pulled, last time I looked police cars weren't towing mobile dyno, lol, and most coppers were clueless of the rules anyway. The only time you'd come unstuck was if you caused an accident with a really big third party claim, and the insurers investigators inspected the bike in detail (highly unlikely). He never had any problems, the few times he got pulled no copper ever asked about restrictions. Most people just fitted a restrict or kit to get the certificate, then evolved the kit, but he didn't even bother with that. Healthy disregard for authority :)

Its a grey area. The certificates arent actually worth the paper theyre written on legally. You dont even need one, but some do accept it as proof for some reason.

I used to knock sbout on the SV650 forum. A few people on their had been pulled and had their bikes siezed for testing by arseholes of policemen. How they stand doing that in the eyes of the law, i dont know.

I used to knock sbout on the SV650 forum. A few people on their had been pulled and had their bikes siezed for testing by arseholes of policemen. How they stand doing that in the eyes of the law, i dont know.

They wouldn't have had the legal, powers to do that back in our day, there was none of this section 59 sh**e back then.

Okay my Yamaha YBR 125 was very kindly delivered by Matthew (DarkPeakCycles) and I have had my first solo journey to work and back. Only covered 20 miles today but I enjoyed it and look forward to doing many more miles!

Next step is my theory test at the end of September...

Glad to hear you managed to get out on it yesterday. Once you get used to the mpg, you'll take it every where you can over the superb!

I passed the theory/hazard perception last month, I didn't have todo one for my car license so went in blind (so to speak, didn't do any practice tests) the theory was mainly common sense with some 1st aid questions, the hazard perception you will pick with time on the bike.

Good Luck

Good luck Chunk11.

I've recently done my Theory and CBT. Got a couple hours on a 125 this Friday. I am going to quiz instructor as to Direct Access. I want to pass my test ASAP as I have a bike waiting for me. I had a 175 when I was 17 for just over a year so knew the controls etc. I have also recently passed my Advanced Driving Test for a car and consider my self ( and have been told ) that I am a safe and alert driver. Because of this I feel that I am responsible enough ( In my opinion!) to have a bigger bike. I am 52 yrs old and also 6'3" and 17 stone and all the smaller bikes look very small under me. I have bought a Fazer 1000 and been quoted insurance for under £150. I have friends who have passed their Advanced test and I intend to take mine also.

I recently had a conversation with a friend who now doesn't ride with some of his friends. He rides at his own pace and wasn't prepared to race with them.

I can still remember the thrill of riding be it many years ago and fully intend to be as safe as possible so that I can enjoy it again.

Careful mate.

I can tell you for a fact, that most the riders who crash on the Cat and Fiddle near me are bikers that have had a 125/250 (or whatever) back in the day, ride a diesel Mondeo in the week, and think they can just jump on a big bike and be Rossi.

Last year i went round a corner, and a middle ages bloke coming the other way on a sports bike (scenario above) failed to get it round the corner (it was only the second proper corner too) and smashed straight into the front of (ironically) a mondeo. Air ambulance, the lot.

Just take it steady. It goes wrong so easily, especially if you dont really know how to ride one

All down to your mindset IMO.

3 Months after passing I was on my CB1000R, not potato'd myself yet. I'm always the slowest of everyone I ride with (except maybe my dad) but I enjoy myself without going into corners thinking I might not make it out the other side. I know when to have fun but I'm as risk averse as you can be on a bike, anything doesnt look or feel right and I'm outta there. 

On the flip side my mate went straight out with the local nutters, had numerous accidents and near misses and still rides more or less the same now. Luckily he started on a 650, anything quicker I'm pretty sure he'd be dead now, to be honest I'm impressed he's not smashed his thou he has now but thats more because he doesnt get out much at the moment. 

Edited by matt1chelski

Thanks for all the comments.

I appreciate that the jump from zero to riding a big bike is a huge step. I haven't bought the bike to ride like Guy Martin or the like.I'm quite happy to just watch them on the TV.

I fully intend to ride as sensible as possible and realise that every other road user is a potential threat to my safety.

I value my life and family far to seriously to take risks.

If after lessons on a 600 I felt totally out of my comfort zone I will rethink but in my mind this is something I can responsibly undertake.

And when I do pass matt1chelski, I can challenge to a slow bike race! :)

• Like 1

Okay went for a bit of a ride out tonight and did about 30 miles through the Pennines between Littleborough and Halifax.

Was a nice ride although it was quite up and down the hills and really showed the lack of power going up the hills.

It was my first real ride out and it was good getting used to some faster corners although I had a load of flies on my helmet by the time I returned.

Looking at planning another little trip out over the weekend to keep up my learning and help gaining more riding experience.

It's nice to be able to ride and not worry about fuel consumption compared to my 3.6 superb...

Tried to fill up for the first time and found it a lot more difficult than I thought it would be as although it showed half a tank when I opened the filler cap I could see the fuel and only get a couple of quid in with the pump clicking about 10 times.

Oh and I have got a good few days overtime this month to help me save up for direct access! Bonus!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Okay a further update I have been riding further afield and some of you may have seen my post about a bike sat nav.

I really think this would be useful and save a lot of hassle so it is something I am saving up for.

Secondly I passed my theory test today! Woo hoo! Another step in the right direction...

Just saving up for my direct access whilst still riding around on my 125 whenever I get chance.

One thing I must say though although I do enjoy riding it to gain experience...etc my god am I fed up of changing gear all the time!

I think I need to go on some more rural rides out in the countryside although that will probably bring me back to the start of this post as I will more than likely get lost!

• Like 2

I am looking forward to going on my longest journey so far tomorrow from Littleborough to York a total of 59 miles and then back the same way on Sunday.

I have looked at the route on google maps and it looks very simple along the A58 and then the A64.

A little bit worried as I know with my weight that 65 is roughly the max speed I can get to on a flat straight and it doesn't feel particularly smooth or relaxing but I am still looking forward to it.

I am looking forward to going on my longest journey so far tomorrow from Littleborough to York a total of 59 miles and then back the same way on Sunday.

I have looked at the route on google maps and it looks very simple along the A58 and then the A64.

A little bit worried as I know with my weight that 65 is roughly the max speed I can get to on a flat straight and it doesn't feel particularly smooth or relaxing but I am still looking forward to it.

Go for it mate

I used to cruise at 45mph on the CG. Im not heavy and the bike would go faster, but it was revving.

Seems weird looking back. Cruising at whatever speed i want now and gobbling up 600/650 mile days with ease.

Good news I survived my 60 mile ride over the tops in the pitch black via candlelight and out of all the other vehicles it was only a bus that attempted to kill me on the ring road around leeds but lucky I had already anticipated what he might do so it was okay in the end.

Only issues are lack of speed in the 125, a numb arse and a sore right wrist from having the throttle fully open most of the way.

I'll let you know how the return journey goes tomorrow!

• Like 3

Okay good news I made it back the 60 miles today in the daylight and it was loads more fun than in the dark last night.

Right wrist was a bit sore again but I am sure with more riding my wrist will get used to it!

Got a lot more confident in my riding having riden 120 miles in the last 2 days and now feel like looking further afield for my future rides now I know I can do it.

Good stuff.

Of course you can do it, although it can be abit lame in the dark on a 125 as the headlights ste generally horrific.

Aslong as you enjoy it, thats all that counts

And yeah your hands will get used to it. Its the vibration id guess.

• 4 months later...

Okay time for a new update after 6 months of riding around on my Yamaha YBR 125.

I had my first proper lesson today, which was between 9 and 2, having not done anything since my cbt in July 15.

It was a really good day as I was meant to start out on a 125 and then progress onto the bigger bikes but I started out on a Kawasaki ER-5 which seems loads better than my 125.

It was a 10 mile ride to the test centre to start off with and getting accustomed to the bike then for my first practice at the mod1.

It was a little bit daunting and I did well apart from I forgot a shoulder check when setting off and only got up to 40kph instead of 50 for the avoidance manoeuvre. Not had any practice at the mod1 previously even on a 125 so I was fairly happy with this.

The instructor then said if I felt comfortable I could move onto a Yamaha XJ6 which I did and it felt like a lot nicer bike to ride. Only a small jump in power and cc's but it will be the bike i do the mod1 and mod2 on for DAS.

Then did a load of mod 2 stuff which I felt more comfortable with and I really enjoyed the rest of the day riding around the countryside, villages and test routes.

The bigger bikes are so much nicer to ride and feel a lot more stable and I don't have to go through all the gears like on my 125!

All in all a very good day and some progress in Chunk's biking journey...

Next lesson booked for 2 weeks time another Sunday and a full day. More time spent on mod1 and fine tuning my riding skills.

Another 1 hour lesson and my mod1 test the following day...

Wish me luck!

Thanks for reading,

Chunk

• Like 2