The EuroTrip Pictures (Germany, Italy, Sicily and more).

JasonE92

As soon as we hit Germany, it was derestricted autobahn. My last go at driving at high speed legally, and managed to hit an indicated 145mph on the speedo in the end.

11221572_10155772312155385_3075178373292

11666305_10155774795690385_3898062703124

Last stop before home time was Reims, where I could tot up the epic fly massacre on my bumper. This place is a must look for anyone driving through, its on the way back so why not!

11143618_10155774795430385_7834078384884

988578_10155775276020385_727881631466030

So after nearly dead on 4150 miles, the Skoda made it back. And although the brakes are now dead (they were on their last legs before I left) and its MOT is due, its still as good as the day it left. It swallowed all of our gear with ease, and had masses of space to go. It took a battering on long drives on the motorway, up mountain passes, dodging mad italians and down ancient cobbled streets. It even survived the Green Helll with me driving! I know these cars divide opinion in the car community, but its now a car I really love. It’s fantastic fun, and yet somehow sensible too. The perfect all rounder on a budget.

11666034_10155776454430385_3961436194479

Edited by john999boy
Edited for continuity.
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing. We're off on our fourth European road trip on Thursday, heading for Austria via Belgium (Ypres and Bastogne) and Germany (Heidelberg) and returning via Reims. Only two sleeps and one working day to go!

Thank you so much for sharing!

For the past 4 winters, I've worked in Piemonte on the French border and I've also worked 2 summers in Lakes Garda, Como and Maggiore. I've since sold my MK1 vRS due to financial desperation. But this brought back many happy memories of my commutes and ancillary road trips  :happy: 

Some thoughts:

The Mk1 vRS is a superb cruiser and I miss mine terribly. Good to see somebody giving the old girl some love. 

I've never NOT queued for San Gotthard tunnel! Fun times. Although I think the A2 may be the prettiest motorway in Europe.

I thought Milan & the A4 was bad for driving, I'm impressed you did Rome! Need to go South at some point...

The next thing you should try is definitely putting some winter tyres on and coming down for a ski in January!

Wow, great trip! How many days was it in total then? And how many days did you spend in each place? I'm wanting to do a road trip to Italy through Switzerland and Germany, similar to yours, with SWMBO and the kids. Wanting to take in the Nurburgring and Furka/Gotthard/Grimsel/Susten passes as well as some touristy things for the family.

Wicked! Munich to Stelvio must have been a hell of a jaunt??

Plus... someones bound to ask... average mpg ? Lol

It was only about 4 hours drive from Munich to Stelvio, probably the shortest journey on the whole trip! I never bothered looking at my average much, when I glanced at it I was seeing mid 30's as normal. However, On the autobahn/Ring/Mountains not so much!

Thank you so much for sharing!

For the past 4 winters, I've worked in Piemonte on the French border and I've also worked 2 summers in Lakes Garda, Como and Maggiore. I've since sold my MK1 vRS due to financial desperation. But this brought back many happy memories of my commutes and ancillary road trips  :happy: 

Some thoughts:

The Mk1 vRS is a superb cruiser and I miss mine terribly. Good to see somebody giving the old girl some love. 

I've never NOT queued for San Gotthard tunnel! Fun times. Although I think the A2 may be the prettiest motorway in Europe.

I thought Milan & the A4 was bad for driving, I'm impressed you did Rome! Need to go South at some point...

The next thing you should try is definitely putting some winter tyres on and coming down for a ski in January!

Well as their prices fall there are some bargains to be had! Get yourself another haha. As for Switzerland and the queue, it was probably the prettiest queue I've been in! The Mrs is now itching for a Ski trip so will have to try win her around...

Wow, great trip! How many days was it in total then? And how many days did you spend in each place? I'm wanting to do a road trip to Italy through Switzerland and Germany, similar to yours, with SWMBO and the kids. Wanting to take in the Nurburgring and Furka/Gotthard/Grimsel/Susten passes as well as some touristy things for the family.

We were away for 15 days in total. One night at the Nurburgring, 2 Nights in Munich, 2 Nights in Como, 2 Nights in rome and 6 nights in Sicily.