'Superb' Fuel economy

Anyone notice their MPG is taking a bit of a hit in this weather?

I religiously fill brim to brim and calculate my MPG rather than relying on the Maxidot which is always over optimistic (Normally between 6 and 12%).

Real MPG normally between 57 and 62.

However lately has been between 50 and 54. Mostly I would say due to very wet roads, you can actually feel the extra drag at times.

Also the strong winds don't usually help. Plus of course the extra loading on the electrics and the longer warm up times.

Actually, lately with lower MPG the MPG shown on the maxidot has become quite accurate. :D

I did a long trip  earlier this week venturing from Yorkshire to Hampshire and have notice head and side wind drag the economy down

Stormy/windy on the way down I did about 44mpg (petrol) and with good weather on the way back I got about 48.5mpg 

My Superb II petrol is also somewhat sensitive to driving style, much more so than my old Superb I 1.9pd was

Edited by bigjohn

I did a long trip  earlier this week venturing from Yorkshire to Hampshire and have notice head and side wind drag the economy down

Stormy/windy on the way down I did about 44mpg (petrol) and with good weather on the way back I got about 48.5mpg 

My Superb II petrol is also somewhat sensitive to driving style, much more so than my old Superb I 1.9pd was

I'm not surprised, side winds affect longer vehicles, especially ships & trains, & as for driving style, you are

using a big car with a tiny engine........

It's taken me a long time to accept that the 2.0 TSi is man enough to shift my beast at reasonable speeds, perhaps

I was to used to my V6 Mondeos! 

Happy Holidays, DC.

Anyone notice their MPG is taking a bit of a hit in this weather?

I religiously fill brim to brim and calculate my MPG rather than relying on the Maxidot which is always over optimistic (Normally between 6 and 12%).

Real MPG normally between 57 and 62.

However lately has been between 50 and 54. Mostly I would say due to very wet roads, you can actually feel the extra drag at times.

Also the strong winds don't usually help. Plus of course the extra loading on the electrics and the longer warm up times.

Actually, lately with lower MPG the MPG shown on the maxidot has become quite accurate. :D

Yes, definitely. Up to 10% in fact. I was getting 49/50 mpg on average and now it's down to about 46mpg. A few factors I think - the diesel fuel itself during the winter and how it reacts etc, having the aircon system on a lot more and other electrics as you say (but this shouldn't be too much really), warm up times and poorer weather which causes more drag and stop/start. In my case I also changed to higher profile tyres which is also having a slight negative impact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Superb170
  • Like 1

I'm not surprised, side winds affect longer vehicles, especially "ships "

It's big but it's not that big  :devil: - and the turning circle is better!

Maybe it's because I'm only used to the old Superb 1.9 pd 100 but I find the 1.4tsi tugs the Superb along well and cruises at 70 at lowish revs. Surprised me on a test drive and was cheap as chips - so I bought it  :notme:

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 3

My Greeline II has got worse in terms of mpg as time had gone by. It's 3.5 years old now. The best mpgs were achieved in the first 6 months, and since then not quite as good. The drop has levelled off now, though.

That being said, I nonetheless get monster mpg out of it. My commute and driving style helps hit those high figures out of the 1.6 diesel.

My other observation is that the car's mpg seems to be disproportionately sensitive to the ambient air temperature. More so than other cars I've owned. It helps that I only use the aircon in extreme temps.